How to bleed cooling system on a 582 blue head?

ozzietriker

Hi Everyone,

I've just replaced my old grey top 582 engine with a new blue top. The cooling system on the blue top is very different to that of the blue top (i'm running the dual radiator set-up . Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to ensure all the air pockets are gone. I have squeezed all the hoses repeatedly and it feels like air is still in the system although when I crack the bleed grub screw a steady steam of coolant runs out ok.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Hi Everyone,I've just replaced my old grey top 582 engine with a new blue top. The cooling system on the blue top is very different to that of the blue top (i'm running the dual radiator set-up . Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to ensure all the air pockets are gone. I have squeezed all the hoses repeatedly and it feels like air is still in the system although when I crack the bleed grub screw a steady steam of coolant runs out ok.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Assuming your engine is plugs up.....

At the top where the small pipe connects both sides of the radiators, there should be a 't' piece with connection pipe to the fitting on top of the engine head. Make this pipe clear plastic so you can see the coolant level. Measure the coolant used to fill the cooling system - depending on your radiator size you should need about 1.5 litres. Then run your engine to operating temperature watching the coolant level via the clear pipe. Top up as required. I must say that I have had no problems with filling my coolant system, or with air remaining in the system to any extent worth mentioning.

One word of warning... When I replaced my 582 grey head with the blue head, I did not replace the radiators with the bigger versions needed for the blue head. I had heating problems until I increased the radiator cooling capacity.

Hope this helps.

Pud

Assuming your engine is plugs up.....At the top where the small pipe connects both sides of the radiators, there should be a 't' piece with connection pipe to the fitting on top of the engine head. Make this pipe clear plastic so you can see the coolant level. Measure the coolant used to fill the cooling system - depending on your radiator size you should need about 1.5 litres. Then run your engine to operating temperature watching the coolant level via the clear pipe. Top up as required. I must say that I have had no problems with filling my coolant system, or with air remaining in the system to any extent worth mentioning.

One word of warning... When I replaced my 582 grey head with the blue head, I did not replace the radiators with the bigger versions needed for the blue head. I had heating problems until I increased the radiator cooling capacity.

Hope this helps.

Pud

Hi Pud and thanks for the great tip! I will try this :)

Cheers,

Dennis

Simple...read the Rotax engine installation manual...........................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi Maj & thanks for the tip 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I actually have all the manuals but the problem is I've already passed that stage and calling on some experience here.

cheers,

Dennis

Guest Maj Millard

From memory there are two brass nipple one either end of the head. from these runs a small rubber line up into the radiator upper connector hose. This is a steam release should any become entrepped in the head (where you don't want steam !) your line should be connected to the one which is highest, and the other blanked off....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

From memory there are two brass nipple one either end of the head. from these runs a small rubber line up into the radiator upper connector hose. This is a steam release should any become entrepped in the head (where you don't want steam !) your line should be connected to the one which is highest, and the other blanked off....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj & much appreciated! :)

cheers,

Dennis