Newbie on the block

Guest nsmflyer

Guest nsmflyer

Hey guy/gals,

I'm a newbie looking into the UL side of things, got disheartened after a few yrs looking at gyro's and on the applicable forums, found them too hard in the west.

I hail from Norseman/Kalgoorlie.

Look forward to seeing what this forum can offer.

Guest Decca

Hi Norseman Flyer. The usual welcoming committee must have turned in so from me a big welcome. I'm sure you'll find as I have plenty of motivation to "just do it" and plenty of good advice.

Regards, Decca.

Guest nsmflyer

Thanks decca, went for a TIF today with Steve Vette of Avon Valley Ultralights in Northam, WA.

Got there just in time for a quick buzz in the air "there was rain clouds fastly approaching us"

Quick 15 min of so flight with a touch and go and a quick flight around outside the circuit area and then the clouds were nearly upon us, so we put it down on terra firma

Just got to read more about the requirements if RAA as a student and take it to the next step.

Guest Decca

Hi NSMFlyer. You are off to a great start. I assume you did the TIF in the Gazelle mentioned in another thread. I’ll refer to that thread a bit in this reply. 15 minutes could not have cost you much hopefully. Are you looking for an aircraft to buy outright or to train in initially? Either way you couldn’t go past the Gazelle (ask Ian Baker - forum administrator). Each has their own opinion, but each needs to have the benefit of experience before choosing what they’ll buy if they want to go that way. Not only the experience of knowing they enjoy flying a particular a/c, but any hidden pitfalls such as is there a life limit on the airframe or wings, what is the real history of the a/c etc? Personally my TIF was in a Gazelle & I was rapt & will be very happy if I complete my training in it. There are cheaper a/c (eg X-Air) but I want to leave this reply at the stage where others far more experienced can take over & suggest what you might find affordable & give you the pro’s & cons.

Regards, Decca.