Packaging wings for freight

Guzzi

I am currently negotiating with a man in America to purchase a set of completed aluminium wing for my Sonerai project.. Have all logistical aspects pretty well covered but need help from people with knowledge in packaging for safe journey...Any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Iast time I shipped aa set of wings (Gazzelle) I spent $400 building an open sided wood frame that I put them in. it served two purposes....kept the wings secure with the correct twist etc...and formed a protecting frame barrier around them. Each wing panel was in it's own area separated from the other. Trucking/freight companies also relate better if things are square/cube-like, so they know just how much space the load will take. As they were loaded on the truck he actually stood then upright, and packed more boxes in beside. Looked good to me, and the wings did not sustain any damage at all in the shipping. I think it may help also if handlers can actually see they are wings, even if viewed through clear plastic which I wrapped around the wood frame..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hello Maj, thanks for taking the time to reply ....I like the idea that you can actually pack the wings with clear wrap and especially having built the crate to enable standing on its side.....what a good idea.....craig

Be very careful what wood is used for the pckaging. Most countries require it to meet ISPM15 standards. If the wrong wood is used, the importer may be fined and the goods may be confiscated with the packaging which will be destroyed.

You can read more about it here: http://www.ispm15.com/

• Informative 1

A few things if you are importing an airplane, or wings as in this case.

1. Have the exporter give the items a really good wash and get rid of all accumulations of dirt, spider webs, rodent droppings, insect pupae cases etc.

2. Specify that only new wood is to be used, and that the wood bear grading marks.

3. It is best to crate wings so that the trailing edge is up in the air.

4. Some people remove the ailerons and flaps and use the brackets they attach to as points to hang the wing from the top beam of the crate.

5. Use the wing attach brackets as another point to support the wing.

6. Support the leading edge in cradle that is cut to the outside shape of the leading edge.

7. Use new carpet underlay as packing between all uprights of the case and the wing. Pack the wing firmly, not tightly.

8. If you choose to use the open frame method, make sure that use attach plywood between the end upright and the next inner upright at both end and on both sides to prevent the frame from twisting. If the wing is long, consider plywood panels in the middle of each side.

9. Wrap the whole shebang in heat-shrink plastic, and put plenty of "Fragile" and "This way Up" notices on it.

If you have the exporter pack the wings in a crate, you'd better have plenty of mates around to help you load and unload the crate because teh Yanks make their packing crates s heavy as hell.

OME