Arrow wing on front hole?

Talking to airborne is fine but I'd like unbiased info. While I have no reason not to trust airborne, they do have a reputation to protect. For example, they never talked the SST down while it was being sold...

I spoke to Rob and Anne (Peter's wife) and both don't like the handling changes that occur when you move the COG. Rob was very honest and upfront as usual. I have in the past moved the streak3 one hole forward and while it flew faster as expected it did handle a little differently. The bar sat closer to my chest and needed more forward pressure during landing and in a turn to coordinate the turn properly. Using the trimmer to slow it down made it handle almost as well as before the COG change. I'm hoping the arrow will be the same. The speed change should be around +8kts.

Put my arrow on the front hole today. Gained about 5kts in airspeed but main advantage is its lighter in pitch (especially) and roll. Now trimming around 61kt. Not as much of a gain as I obtained with the streak 3. Overall handling is still good.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Both wings are nice to fly but the arrow is my pick. It is definitely lighter in roll and holds the nose up nicely in a turn. The arrow is probably more fuel efficient than the streak 3. It also lands nicely because it has a tendency to hold the nose up better. You can land it quite slowly and possibly use smaller fields. Due to the lighter roll feel, you don't need to come in as fast to cut through the turbulence like you do in the streak. This should enhance its short field capabilities. Avoid getting a second hand SST unless you plan to convert it for around 6 grand.

• Like 1

The 6 grand is the approximate cost of modifying the SST to turn it into an arrow. The cost of a new mast if you need one is less than $1000. I don't know the exact cost as I didn't need one as mine was an SST that was modified. I paid $5500 for the mod and about $400 to get the wing to and from airborne.

• Like 1