Requirements for L2/L4 maintainer authorisation

BoxFat

Guest Maj Millard

No the AC 43 is an advisory publication put out by the FAA, but published by several publishers such as ASA and Jeppersen etc. It is intended for all users not just the military.

Unfortunatly our CASA has no comparable publication but is happy to refer to the the AC43 manual when it so suits them......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

OK. All my questions answered - many thanks to all who have responded. In case someone else has the same question later here are links to speed up the search:

AC43 in hard copy from the RA-AUS shop http://www.raa.asn.au/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=63 for $50. Also downloadable files free (albeit in parts) from FAA here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/99861

Found criteria for L2 here: http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Section-4.1-Accreditation-of-persons-suitable-to-conduct-maintenance1.pdf. (the replies in this thread have given me an idea what will generally be required by RA-Aus to meet the criteria)

Found list of L2 s current to July here: http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/L2-July-2013.pdf

Cheers,

BF

I was sure one of your posts was offering a daughter in exchange for L2 work, anyway.....I would probably feel the same way in regard to my daughter........ but since you have a shovel, and made your abilities clear, I do have some other work available.

For marriage of said daughter ! Without wanting to further drift the thread, I must say it is one of they joys of getting older and fatherhood to be on the giving, rather than receiving end of the "Scary Dad" treatment. I like the story of the young lady, on the doorstep of the family home after a night out and dealing with over-enthusiastic good-byes from the beau:

Daughter: "Ooooh stop my dad might come out !"

Beau: " Oh really ? I'd like to meet him. What's he interested in ?"

Daughter: "Oh...he likes to pull things apart to see why they don't go"

(meaningful pause..during which heavy footsteps in the hall can be heard)

Daughter adds...: "I think you'd better go"

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's for tomorrow

BF

• Winner 1

Kind of on subject.

Whats involved in building an aircraft engine ?

I mean I know how to build engines I was just interested in what qualification you need to build an aircraft engine.

If it is under CASA you also need an approved workshop, as well as the required LAME training ticket.

Some engine manufacturers have very complete manuals with all clearances torqueing figures, etc which you NEED. You also need to incorporate all current AD's when building the engine. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

As far as uncertified aircraft engines go, an unlimited L2 technically has the right to do it. It does qualify

as major work, and generally most engine rebuilds are done by suitable engine shops such as B Floods etc.

Personally the potential liability involved in touching an engine used in a training or hire machine, is way more risk that I would choose to accept, so I prefer those engines to be done in an approved shop.

Unless one is suitable equipped with all the necessary factory tooling to do the job correctly, and have access to all the required maintenance data, it is by far best left to the experts !!...................Maj...

If it is under CASA you also need an approved workshop, as well as the required LAME training ticket.Some engine manufacturers have very complete manuals with all clearances torqueing figures, etc which you NEED. You also need to incorporate all current AD's when building the engine. Nev

As far as uncertified aircraft engines go, an unlimited L2 technically has the right to do it. It does qualifyas major work, and generally most engine rebuilds are done by suitable engine shops such as B Floods etc.

Personally the potential liability involved in touching an engine used in a training or hire machine, is way more risk that I would choose to accept, so I prefer those engines to be done in an approved shop.

Unless one is suitable equipped with all the necessary factory tooling to do the job correctly, and have access to all the required maintenance data, it is by far best left to the experts !!...................Maj...

Thanks guys I only ask because I am a diesel mechanic by trade and have spent a lot of time building engines and other components.

I'm not trying to say that would qualify me to work on aircraft but I am 100% sure I have the skills to build an aircraft engine given I had the right service information.

Dave , It's not the skill necessarily.. It's the paperwork and liability factor. Try working with someone airside on aircraft servicing or workshop and see the paperwork and documentation. Till the weight of paper equals the aircraft weight, you don't get into the air . the U/L scene is a bit more simplified, (perhaps, but where is it heading?) but if the owner or operator does something wrong, that you might get the blame for, you might lose your house. Welcome to the Aviation world. Nev

Dave , It's not the skill necessarily.. It's the paperwork and liability factor. Try working with someone airside on aircraft servicing or workshop and see the paperwork and documentation. Till the weight of paper equals the aircraft weight, you don't get into the air . the U/L scene is a bit more simplified, (perhaps, but where is it heading?) but if the owner or operator does something wrong, that you might get the blame for, you might lose your house. Welcome to the Aviation world. Nev

Thanks Nev.

I don't really know whats involved in the paperwork side of things but I imagine it's fairly involved, QA proses and all.

I was mainly thinking of just for my own engine, not even sure if it's worth my time doing when I could be doing something else.

Just curious.

DAVE, I would feel the same. You should be able to work on your own engine. Try to arrange it with an approved person who can supervise and sign it out ( I wouldn't expect that for free but maybe you can do some other thing in return). Is it GA? If it is RAAus I think you can do your own (at the moment). The assumption in all these thing is that you will get the necessary help when it is necessary. Seems reasonable doesn't it?. Sometimes I wonder there the "experts" are, but knowledge rather than penalties is the way. The owner/pilot is well motivated to get the job right and shouldn't be operating under such pressure to finish in a set time.. Nev