Axes and derivatives

I did my PPL training back in the mid-60s and I must say Dafydd that in all the years since then, yesterday is the first time I have heard of "wind axes".We live and learn.

Yes, well you would have done pretty much the same theory course that I did in 1962 (a vastly better one than what is served up to-day, from what I can see); however those courses are always somewhat simplicated to make them a bit easier for people who are aiming for a career as airmen. I was doing aero engineering at Sydney Uni at that time, and we got wind axes rubbed into us. I'm glad I do not have to pass a modern theory course, because it's so full of those sorts of half-truths that I'd never pass; you have to give the answer the course setter expects, and it's all "multiple-guess" choices, and my choice is almost always "none of the above". Back in '62, it was essay-type answers, not multiple-choice; and you got marked on your understanding of the subject. It's academic to the subject matter of that thread, as you pointed out. Not so academic if you are doing developmental flight testing, and trying to analyse what's wrong with the aircraft, however.