New Member.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, just registered as a member. :D

Although I have recently retired from the Airline Industry, I have been an LAME (Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) for almost 40 years. :D

Hopefully this site will grow nicely. :D

Guest Guest

No worries. :D

A long time since I was a "Newbie" anywhere. :shock:

At my age I will take it as a compliment. :lol:

Did you manage to check out those other sites?

Guest Glenn

Yep, checked them out. Thanks for posting about this board and site. Didn't know they existed.

A long time since I was a "Newbie" anywhere. At my age I will take it as a compliment.

LOL no prob.

Guest Glenn

Welcome to the board Dunny. The Britannia is just one of my models that I like. It's 1/100 scale and quite hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chadza

I've just joined up and being a relative "forum junkie" I can say this one has great potential. Its a breath of fresh air to have a real-world dedicated aviation forum without all the wanker and BS artists on Pprune.

A bit about myself:

Studying Civil Aviation at UniSA in Adelaide, got my PPL late last year and currently have 80 hours in the logbook flying Diamond Katana's, C150's and PA28's. Soon to be going into Arrow's and a C206.

I can see you are going to be very useful here "lame"! Are you open to maintenance questions?

Chad

Guest Glenn

Hi Chad and welcome to the board. I hope to keep this board as friendly and helpful as possible.

I'm sure Lame can answer most things you throw at him.

Welcome again.

Guest Chadza

thanks for the welcome guys. I came over from Aussim btw.

bah lame: it will be good to have someone with experience to get some advice from! I don't get a chance to talk to many LAME's at YPPF these days, my schedule is really get out to flying school, do a nav and then head to work/back to Uni!

Ok first question: I heard last week from a Uni Lecturer that even though PA28 engines (the engine designation escapes me) are built to handle whatever students can throw at them, they usually have to be completely rebuilt at their overhaul as the internals are stuffed. As I mostly fly the PA28 what common problems have you found with their engines?

Chad

Guest Guest

Well I did warn you. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Sorry, but I have never even worked on light aircraft, or military aircraft, ONLY airliners. :roll:

Maybe someone else here can help. 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Guest Ultralights

i to have only worked on Turbines and airline aircraft, but from what i understand, the engines in piper PA28 series are a Lycombing 0-320D or the 180 Hp 0-360D

the 320 and 360 are the cubic capacity of each engine, They are basically big lazy engines, that dont work too hard, alomst 6 ltr capacity and ONLY producing 180 hp!! not only that the engines are designed to be easily stripped down and rebuilt , each cylinder barrel is Bolted to the main block, and the cylinder heads are bolted to the barrels. Im not sure what the common problems would be but, being a big, low revving engine with a main bearing for every cylinder, i assume it would be able to take whatever pilot any pilot asks of it..

Hi

I have been a LAME for nearly 40 years and thinking about semi-retirement after having worked as an expat for most of my years.

Engines operating in the training environment usually end up having expensive overhauls due to shock cooling, which crack cylinders, (we are a bit high and fast, just pull the power back to idle and point the nose down, a bit of flap will help as well.NOT!!!)

Also not understanding the relationship between RPM and manifold pressure, ie pulling the RPM back before reducing power with the throttle. This puts unnecessary stress on the bottom end as well as the cylinders.