new viewer

Guest bazmay

Guest bazmay

G'day all,

My name is Baz and I have been stumbling around the sky for around 25 years in a variety of private planes. I have built a Zenith Zodiac HDS powered by a Jabiru 3300 and at present am building a Cobra Arrow which will have a Renisis roatary as used in the Mazda RX 8. I look forward to taking part in this site.

Cheers

Baz

Guest Ultralights

Bazmay, welcome! a fellow builder! using a rotary no less! dont worry, i have owned rotories for yrs, and have an RX-7 at the moment.

how is the Zenith? build and design etc?

I am about to begin construction of a Cri Cri from plans, and amongst the cri cri crowd, there is a lot of bad blood about zenith and chris heinz.

Once my Cri is completed, i plan on building a MCR01, using the renesis or Older 13B rotary. supposedly capable of 150 kts on 100 Hp! but thats a loong way off.

Guest bazmay
Bazmay, welcome! a fellow builder! using a rotary no less! dont worry, i have owned rotories for yrs, and have an RX-7 at the moment. how is the Zenith? build and design etc?

I am about to begin construction of a Cri Cri from plans, and amongst the cri cri crowd, there is a lot of bad blood about zenith and chris heinz.

Once my Cri is completed, i plan on building a MCR01, using the renesis or Older 13B rotary. supposedly capable of 150 kts on 100 Hp! but thats a loong way off.

What was the bad blood about with Chris?

I built the Zodiac back before parts were pre cut and punched. Pretty easy job now.

There is a lot of work involved in setting up a rotary for aircraft use, mainly cooling and electronics but they tell me it's worth the effort.

Baz

Guest Ultralights

from what i can gather from the cri cri groups on yahoo, chris heinz bought a set of plans from Micheal colomban, the designer of the original cri, he then modified the design in a few critical areas, and re-sold kits of the aircraft! the re-design proved to be fatal! and quite a high number of kit builders were killed. and of course, then chris washed his hands of the design and blamed the originall design, and hence micheal was subject to numous lawsuits, which sent him bankrupt. even though it was proven he was not at fault. and now, No french kit or plans built aircraft has and will never be sold to anyone in the US. quite sad really.

What issueas are you facing with cooling the renisis? i guess the electrical issues are to do with the Fuel injection? I have a 13B 6 port motor in my rx, and another 6 port freshly rebuilt sitting in a rally car. this is the engine i am saving for my future MCR01. i am still undecided if i will go the EFI or carby. but i have had no problems with the EFI setup in my car. but a car is an entirly different situation. it is safe to assume you have heard of Atkins rotary in the US? doing the renisis engines into the RV series aircraft?

Guest bazmay
from what i can gather from the cri cri groups on yahoo, chris heinz bought a set of plans from Micheal colomban, the designer of the original cri, he then modified the design in a few critical areas, and re-sold kits of the aircraft! the re-design proved to be fatal! and quite a high number of kit builders were killed. and of course, then chris washed his hands of the design and blamed the originall design, and hence micheal was subject to numous lawsuits, which sent him bankrupt. even though it was proven he was not at fault. and now, No french kit or plans built aircraft has and will never be sold to anyone in the US. quite sad really. What issueas are you facing with cooling the renisis? i guess the electrical issues are to do with the Fuel injection? I have a 13B 6 port motor in my rx, and another 6 port freshly rebuilt sitting in a rally car. this is the engine i am saving for my future MCR01. i am still undecided if i will go the EFI or carby. but i have had no problems with the EFI setup in my car. but a car is an entirly different situation. it is safe to assume you have heard of Atkins rotary in the US? doing the renisis engines into the RV series aircraft?

G'day again,

Fuel economy is one of the problems with the rotary and involves the electronic set up. The cooling of liquid cooled aircraft engines is a real art and I read all the posts from the ACRE forum. I am learning a lot but until I actually get the engine it's all theory.

Baz