Hi, Iain here

Guest Iain

Hi, just joined today. Found you through the web ring. Can't even remember why I was browsing.

I'm a late starter student pilot. First lesson in 1985 in Scotland, second lesson in 2005 at Camden. 20 hours so far. So much to learn...

The forum looks promising, so good luck.

Iain

Guest colt_pa22
First solo today! In a Citabria

Congratulations Iain, how was it?

We're all Student Pilots really.

That's right SP, continual learning and improvement.

colt

Solo

colt

Thanks for asking. It went fine. Just a decision to make to keep clear of another Citabria doing circuits on 06 (tarmac) when I was on 10 (grass).

The full tale is here.

It feels great to join the pilot community. It's only taken about 38 years from my first expression of interest. I advise anyone who's ever dreamt of flying to go straight ahead and do it. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Guest Glenn

Thanks Iain, I enjoyed that. You write so well too.

I thought you had to get an endorsement for a trail dragger after you had your licence, but obviously this isn't the case.

I advise anyone who's ever dreamt of flying to go straight ahead and do it.

I'm still trying to for the past few years but I think this year will be the year. Hopefully :?

Guest The Hammer

Well done, and "Congratulations" Iain.

First Solo is something you will remember the details of for the rest of your life (just like your wife's birthday 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif )

I was wondering how anyone would be able to write a full page on a flight that takes only about 10 minutes, however your account was very interesting all the way through

Glen I asks

I thought you had to get an endorsement for a trail dragger after you had your licence, but obviously this isn't the case.

However Glenn, as it seems Iain did almost ALL of his training on the Citabria, that covers his tailwheel endorsement. Now he'll have to do a tricycle (nose & mains) rating...no more "clearing the nose" during taxi-ing. :P

Tailwheelers

Glenn and Hammer

Correct, I should earn a PPL and tailwheel endorsement at the same time. I took a flight in a C172 for some perspective - see

http://www.iainhosking.com/flying/training/lesson14.php

for the flight and side-by-side cockpit comparison between the 172 and the deliberately spartan Citabria. The C172 was definitely easier on the ground but a nice 3-pointer in the Citabria is very satisfying!

There's a fellow at Curtis who took his first solo on his 16th birthday in a Tiger Moth - now that's doing it in style! He was a special case as he had about 160 hours I think and his father is a LAME with his own a/c. 8)

Funny you should say that about my wife's birthday because last year I only remembered at work and called but my name was already mud. 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

P.S. At 5'10" in old money I'm tall enough to see over the nose of the Citabria while taxiing without needing to weave. A Pitts would be a different matter!

Dromader

Well, well, small world. It looks a bit of a beast. Apparently it's used for water bombing so I presume it had a busy time a few days later.

What's 6 minutes away? A private airstrip?

Iain

P.S. That URL's a definite case for tinyurl

• 1 month later...

Dromader

Saw another Dromader at Camden last weekend (VH-TGI):

Imagine looking down *that* nose on finals!

Iain