WORKERS COMP SAY'S NO FLYING

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

3 month's ago i was helping out at single vehicle accident when some clown drove into us causing a second accident and leaving me with a broken femur (top of the leg right side ) as i was working at the time im currently on w/comp . on thursday i had a meeting with the ins rep and the oh&s guy from work about a number of things but towards the end i was told that i shouldn't be learning to fly because if i was to injure my leg anymore the ins would wipe me..... #%#@@ !!!

after going home i got to thinking and came to the conclusion that they rather ignorently assumed this was a dagerous sport

questions . is it classed as a sport and if so is it classed as a dangerous one

. second . does anyone know any of the leagal side of this situation that may be able to offer some advice

and on the day when i finally raked up the $$$ for my first 3 hours flight training.....THANKS Troy

Guest Fred Bear

Troy,

Interesting you write this. I don't know if you have ever seen life insurance policies? They ask whether you fly, how often etc. I know it does not answer your question but food for thought...

Guest brentc

There are only a small few life insurance companies that offer insurance to Pilots. Unless you are a passenger in a charter or an RPT flight where you pay per seat, 'generally' you aren't covered. You'd need to be very careful when selecting a policy.

I'd be interested to know if the Super Annuation policies cover flying, for example, my dependents supposedly get $500k+ through my Super supplier if I kick the bucket, however it's probably not covering me for flying.

Hi Troy,

Their theroy could possibly be that if you aren't physically able to work, than flying would be inappropriate as it would seem you are either not taking care of your injury or not as injured as you say, hence voiding your insurance. Same as if you played a game of squash or went mountain bike riding while on workers comp. Maybe their views not directly related to the risks of flying ??

I am just guessing about this, I have no knowledge of how workers comp works...

Maybe you could tell them what an uplifting experience flying is and how it aids the rehabilitation process :big_grin:

Our disability and life insurances covers us for flying no problems...

Good luck with it, hope you are up in the air soon!!!

Cheers,

Kaz

Kaz basically hit the nail on the head with her very astute observations.

If your not fit to work you shouldn't be flying.

Work Cover only have grounds to shut you out if you were performing activities that could be said are not appropriate to do if you are unfit to work.

Think about it, would it be ok to go surfing if you were off work because of a work related accident which left you with a broken hip.

Same as a car accident where you claim a whiplash injury and you are observed by the insurance investigator playing a round of 18 holes.

My two bob's worth.

Rick-p

Guest Fred Bear

Is this kind of like when you are caught mowing your lawns with a back injury claim 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif How many times do we see footage of that on Today Tonight. Hang on, got to go. I'm getting RSI in my wrists from typing. Compo claim right here.

Darren, my gosh your quick off the mark with your posts, I was still cooling my fingers in the bucket of cold water I keep beside the keyboard for that very purpose.

Guest Fred Bear
Darren, my gosh your quick off the mark with your posts

Yes mate. Saturday night and I'm feelin' alright (well after a few more of these ales I shall). Sad really when you have kids mate. Got my Drifter fix today after about 6mths of not flying in the Drifter so what more is there left but to sit on the PC now and type away ;)

Guest disperse

what i wanted to do was my first couple of hours in the back seat where im not using my legs at all .

as for not working i am on light duty's (sitting in front of a computer doing stuff all because they couldnt be bothered finding real work for me) because as i am unable to walk without the use of crutches therefor not only can i not drive i am unable to even get into the truck...

im not talking about playing sport im talking about finding just one thing to focus on that dosent depress me cause i can do stuff all else

PS. THANKS TO Pelorus32 for the link on Vne where i found my signiture quote

Darren I use to scoff at the Drifter but was recently, whilst overseas, forced to fly one because I was having withdrawals and there was nothing else available at the time to fly.

After the first flight and when I got over my feeling of aprehension sitting up front wondering what happend to the prop and how I would get all the bugs out of my teeth and back of my throat I decided to give it another go and it was then that it dawned on me that it was a great little aircraft to fly and by no means unresponsive to control input.

So I went on with it and got endorsed on type and went on to have a ball for a few weeks.

The moral of my story is don't knock it until you try it and have an open mind when you do.

The only aircraft I won't go back to flying is the Quicksilver a laundry basket with a motor and a tent for wings.

Glide ratio of 4 to 1 and take of speed at 40 mph cruise at 45mph and a stall at somewhere like 39mph, not much room for error.

Plus you need to wear bicycle clips on your trouser legs or your nuts get frozen.

Also whilst I think of it over where I was flying you need to get endorsed on each type that you fly, maybe that's something we need here in the ultralight movement.

It does make sense though, dosn't it.

Regards,

Rick 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

what i wanted to do was my first couple of hours in the back seat where im not using my legs at all

Would that mean you are techically only doing theroy? Surely they couldn't find anything wrong with that? If you are not physically flying than there shouldn't be a problem... ??? :;)4:

Guest Fred Bear

Good story Rick 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif For us that have flown rag and tube (and I still prefer it over the Plastic Parrot), we can relate to the freezing of the, errr, thingos story! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Luckily, I had the freezer suit on today so I was as warm as toast in there while flying from the back seat and I know what you mean about the Drifter. Very responsive to any input unlike the Bantam where if you have milk on board turns into butter by the end of every flight :) Long live the rag and tube I say mate. That's where my heart is. After flying GA I wanted more. I wanted to be out in the open and feel the air with the birds and this is what you get flying these machines. True freedom and a real escape from the you know what world down below. I was saying today, with rag and tube either you hate it or you love it. It's not for everyone and I can appreciate that.

I used to have an accident and disability policy, but they flatly refused to cover me, even as a passenger in any recreational aircraft... they would only cover me for RPT...

With the leg injury, I would not fly in the left or right seat until cleared by the doc, and off workers compensation.

This is because people could assume that you are fit to fly, you are fit for work.

I would spend the healing time doing the theory and going for backseat rides wherever possible...

Ben