What Engine powers your Recreational Aircraft?

Guest OzChris

Guest OzChris

Just wondering what engines people are using in their Recreational Aircraft...

1. What are your thoughts of the engine you are using?

2. Would you change it, and if so, to what?

3. Do you find it easy to work on your engine or do you use a Level 2 to do most of the work?

Thanks in advance for your contributions...

Guest OzChris

I fly the Thruster TST-E powered by the ever reliable Rotax 582 DCDI (Dual capacitor discharge Ignition)

Even though I was a little hesitant about two stroke motors prior to owning one - I am sold on the Performance and the ease of maintenance on the 582.

The 582 is a 65 hp 2 cylinder 2 stroke liquid cooled engine with 2 carbies.

The max RPM is 6800rpm (max power 6500rpm) with a normal cruise of 5500-5800rpm.

This gives my Thruster a cruise speed of around 60kts using the 3 blade IVO (adjustable) prop.

I have found the 582 very easy to work on - and thats coming from someone who is NOT mechanical...but Im learning.

The 582 engine gives smooth and powerful acceleration and amazing take off and climb performance.

I use Premium Unleaded Fuel and mix Castrol Activ 2T Oil in my engine which gives a good octane rating with better fuel burn than standard unleaded.

Im very impressed with the 582 and am trying to learn as much as I can about it as I go...Im planning on getting a Top End overhaul done early next year - this should give me another 300+ hours out of it.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I own and fly an X-Air F 618 two stroke engine. Not a lover of these engines but have never had any problems with this engine as yet, 360 hrs.

I also own an Allegro 200,Rotax 100hp engine, 68hrs up to date. very impressed with this engines performance in this airframe

Ray

Guest OzChris

I dont think you can go wrong with the Rotax 912S 100hp engine, especially with a TBO of 1500 hours!

The 618 was a great engine too (for a 2 stroke), like you ray, Im not a huge fan of the 2 stoke Rotax...but they have a good reputation none the less.