TL 2000 Sting carbon stalling movie

Guest Michael Coates

Guest Michael Coates

TL 2000 Sting carbon aircraft stalling movie.

Hello guys, this sequence was done for a coroner's inquest into an accident involving a sting aircraft fatality in Australia after an engine failure.

The movie shows the characteristics of the aircraft when stalling even with excessive control inputs without the engine running. Two cameras are used as part of this presentation and all of the cockpit voice is recorded. It makes for an interesting video showing how this type of aircraft handles and performs without the engine running. The video runs in just over six minutes.

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsO8_HtgEDE]YouTube - TL 2000 Sting Carbon Stalling Demonstration[/nomedia]

Guest Michael Coates

Yes, its me flying.... The video is interesting for a number of reasons, firstly most people don't know how their aircraft performs/behaves when the engine is not running.

The time that you really want to know how the aircraft performes without an engine is when you have an engine failure.

Fortunately, I have a lot of experience with the engine off because I fly the Pipistrel motor gliders so often and it gives you a really good appreciation of exactly what an aircraft will do without the engine.

You simply going to autopilot mode (that's your brain that I am referring to not your plane) and set up the aircraft for best glide using the trim to relieve all stick pressure because the bigest problem with most people is they keep pulling back on the control column thinking it is going to make them go further and that is how we get into a stall and spin situation.

I always trim the aircraft the best glide and then only make the tiniest movements with the ailerons because these induce drag (and therefore make you lose height much quicker) and I get directional control with the rudder which is a much more efficient way to fly without an engine.

The really interesting thing from me is how benign the aircraft is without the engine running, (it is the same with the engine running although the stall rotation can be a little bit more because the engine running gives you a higher nose attitude). The control imports that you can do with both ailerons and rudder is amazing right on the stall buffet... most planes would turn upside down and spiral to the ground but the sting simply sits there.

Guest OzChris

That is a really good piece of video there Michael.

I learnt to fly in Piper Tomahawks (back in the day) and it would have sh*t itself twice over inducing that sort of 'rough play' on the stall like that.

That video truly shows how benign the Sting TL 2000 is!!

Im sure I might get some who disagree - but having spent my last 50 hours or so on Jabiru's, the Sting *SEEMS* to be a much more stable aircraft in the stall. Just my opinion from what I have seen from the video and what I have experienced in the Jabi :]

Great job on the video and the evidence Michael...

Hey i agree with OzChris thoes Tomys are horrible in stalls. i have bad expirences in tomys some may already know but i have had a parcial engine faliure due to lack of fuel in one tank well the fuel gauge read wrong read 1/2 tank but was accualy empty. It happened in the worst possible position as well just after T/O about 200' with no rwy scary stuff but if we did do down we would have been fine. But as they say everypilots experiences a problem during flight once in there life times so i hope that was mine. I also fly the C152 which i find is a great aircraft