License classification

Guest peter4

Hi to all. I registered here hoping to get some opinion and guidance on pilot training. From what I can glean there seems ot be two differing tracks here, the RAAUS and PPL. To date I have only been able to get "opinions" from both camps on their relative strengths and advantages. Can anyone shed some light for me on the ESSENTIAL differences before I head down the wrong path?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Peter .

I hold a RAAus pilot certificate . There are two basic differences between a PPL and a RAAus pilot certificate .

1: A RAAus pilot certificate is NOT a license . It is a document issued by the RAAus that certifies you as a holder to fly a RAAus registered aircraft under such conditions as specified on the certificate ie , X Country , formation flying , tail wheel type etc .

2: A PPL IS a license that allows you as holder to fly an aircraft at which you are endorsed on in airspace that includes CTA ( Controlled airspace ) .

As you can see , the main difference is the privilege to fly in CTA with a PPL . The same privilege does not exist if you are a RAAus pilot certifcate holder only .

Many RAAus pilots go on to gain a PPL using the hours accrued on their RAAus certificate as a credit towards their PPL ..

Hope this clears the air a little ( no pun intended )

Dave C

I believe there is also a limit to the weight of the aircraft you can fly with a RAAus certificate. Max weight for a PPL is 5700kg (provided you are endorsed to fly that aircraft, of course) versus 700kg (I think) maximum for RAAus aircraft. RAAus aircraft are also limited to 2 seats.

RAAus is a good starting point- the aircfaft are cheaper, and although there are some restrictions, you can do a lot of flying with an RAAus certificate. If you want to go further, (more seats, bigger aircraft, etc.) then you can always upgrade to PPL later on.

Coop

I might try to add something constructive here. I won't be so bold as to say the main differences are... Rather I will outline some of the differences that exist.

First, as someone else has already said, the pilot certificate is not a licence it is a certificate that entitles the holder to fly RAA registered aircraft subject to the limitations imposed by the Ops Manual published by RAA. As far as the technical differences between it being a certificate vs a licence I think it matters little, both give the person a right to fly certain types of aircraft.

Some of the obvious differences include weights, number of engines, when/where the holder can/can't fly and so forth.

Weights: Notwithstanding the flight limitations imposed by manufacturers a pilot certificate holder can fly an aircraft up to 544kg. The limit for a PPL licence is somewhat higher.

Engines: While there is no explicit limit on the number of engines under the pilot certificate rules there are under the rules that govern what can and can't be registered with RAA. Thus there is an implicit limitation to one engine. (There are a few exceptions to this rule but in general this is what applies.) A PPL can do endorsements that allow him/her to fly multi engine aircraft.

When/where: RAA pilot certificate holders are limited to flying during the day in 'good weather'. I won't bother defining good weather (read up on VFR) but a PPL holder can do more training that allows them to fly at night, in cloud, etc. Pilot certificate holders are also not permitted to fly into controlled airspace where as PPL holders with the appropriate qualifications can.

A couple of other points worth noting.

• Number of people in an RAA aircraft is limited to 2 in total including the pilot which means you can only carry one passenger. PPL is higher than this.

• As someone else said, PPL pilots can do aerobatic qualifications.

• PPL pilots require medicals that have a renewal date depending on your age, RAA pilots have much less stringent medical requirements.

• A pilot certificate holder is allowed to perform a much larger range of maintenance on their aircraft than their PPL counterparts can.

That was all fact, now for some opinion.

I think if you are going to train then do your RAA pilot certificate and then convert. This is most likely going to work out cheaper for you as RAA aircraft are generally cheaper to hire and train in. Your RAA hours count towards your total experience* and most people will have little trouble converting to the heavier feel of GA aircraft.

In terms of theory the RAA exams DO NOT count for PPL but PPL DOES count for RAA. With this in mind I would suggest that (if you plan to do PPL in the longer run) sit the PPL cyber exam in lieu of the RAA equivalent. This means will only have to do the one theory exam rather than the RAA one and then the PPL one. In terms of difficulty I can't comment from experience but I believe the differences are not that great with respect to the theory of how things work but there is more focus on air law, navigation, etc. with the PPL. Not harder, just more of it.

Hope this helps,

AS

*Interestingly the hours do not count towards your CPL but if you go the whole hog and finish up with ATPL they do count! That said, I have not heard of any cases where this is enforced. It is difficult and cumbersome to work out in some cases and I haven't come across anyone that has ever spoken of any difficulty in obtaining their CPL by using RAA hours as part of the requirements.

I agree with airsick above.

Peter4, there isnt really a "wrong path"

The main question you may need to ask yourself Peter4 is, what do I need my pilot licence / certificate for? What are my goals?

If it is for pure fun, you only have a max. of one pax, and dont mind the restrictions on RA-Aus Flying, then do the RA-Aus Certificate. If you wish to go PPL after then thats easy to convert over...just make sure you do your PPL theory instead of the RA-Aus.

RA-Aus is a LOT CHEAPER!

Guest Darren Masters

Well answered by the other members (as always) but from me...welcome to the forums 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif All I can say is both are stacks of fun (from experience) but RAA brings you pleasures that sometimes GA cannot. It can be the other way around too. Enjoy.