Hi From Brisbane

TAA rtfm

G'day,

I've just stumbled across this forum, and it really is attractively laid out. I have read good things about the friendliness and helpfulness of the folks here, so I'm very happy to have made your aquaintance.

I have designed, and am now building, a single seat, composite mid-wing aircraft, which is STILL in the plug stage, although nearing vcompletion. I am building it on the 2nd floor of the Absoe Warehouse (the old Peter's Ice Cream factory in West End, Brisbane). However, I've just been made redundant (AGAIN...) and will be moving the plane out to better (ie cheaper) accommodation. Anyone have any spare space for a month or two to house a very small single seater with no wings, please give me a call on 0406 527 822.

I have been an active member on the HBA forum, but it is very nice to find a local home. If there are any local builders/designers who would like to get in contact, or to pop over to take a look at my progress so far, please feel free to give me a call also. Always happy to talk about planes.

Well, that's it for the intro.

Regards,

Duncan

475537505_RZBF14Dec12.jpg.71f13f89a302414beabf0daca77f6d41.jpg

Welcome to TAA Duncan. Hope someone can help you out. Cute little plane btw. Look forward to ssing it somewhere someday when completed. What powerplant are you going to use?

Hi folks, and thanks for the welcome.

The little Razorback (it really IS small) will be powered by one of Valley Engineering's Big Twins. Essentially this is a 990cc Generac industrial engine which has been opened up and fitted with all sorts of good things including a new cam. It now produces 50hp of safe, reliable power and fitted with a belt redrive, starter, twin exhausts and filled with oil (ie ready to bolt on and fly) weighs 116lbs (just over 52kg). So that's almost 1hp per kg. Not bad for a cheap industrial engine. And the best thing is it comes with a factory selected wooden prop and basic engine instruments - all for just over $5k USD. That's not a bad deal.

According to the spreadsheets, this little plane (empty weight) ready to fly = 272lbs (124kg) will stall at 38kts and cruise at 145kts. One reason for this is that it has a very small wing (18ft span, 45 ft ^2 area), with HUGE Fowler flaps.

So there you have it. The little Razorback in a nutshell. Time will tell if the design translates with integrity into the physical artifact, but I'm having a ball just building it.

Cheers,

Duncan