Most Extraordinary Landing I Have Ever Seen

PistonBroke

Why do people persist in doing these fake videos? If your wing comes off doesn't matter how good you are it ends in tears. There was a pommie pilot that landed after a spar failure by flying upside down till just before touchdown but the wing was still on the aircraft, Williams was his name.

Those renactment camera people are the worst, can't focus or can't hold the camera still. :D The landing film on that clip is a normal F15 landing and they have brushed out the wing. Would you use full flap on the good wing if the other was missing? Wouldn't there be some opposite rudder helping hold things straight? If it was landing at near 300 knots then the nose would not be high like in the video. The whole attitude of the video is typical "Best of the best of the best" bullshit the yanks carry on with. I do believe that an F15 might have landed with part of the wing missing, when they try to pass off videos like that as genuine it takes credibility away from the truth.

The F15 may have been a better long range machine for the RAAF than the Super Hornets.

Yes, well I guess you're right, and Wikipedia isn't, then. However ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F15_eagle#Notable_accidents

Or if you can't be bothered hitting the link, read on...

• On 1 May 1983, during an Israeli Air Force training dogfight, an F-15D collided with a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. Unknown to pilot Zivi Nedivi and his copilot, the right wing of the Eagle was sheared off roughly two feet (60 cm) from the fuselage. The A-4 disintegrated and its pilot ejected and parachuted to safety, while the F-15 nosed down and entered a violent roll. Zivi decided to attempt recovery and engaged afterburner to increase speed, allowing him to regain control of the aircraft. The pilot was able to prevent stalling and maintain control because of the lift generated by the large horizontal surface area of the fuselage, the stabilators, and remaining wing areas. The F-15 landed at twice the normal speed to maintain the necessary descent and its tailhook was torn off during the landing. Zivi managed to bring his F-15 to a complete stop approximately 20 ft (6 m) from the end of the runway. He was later quoted as saying "It's highly likely that if I would have seen it clearly, I would have ejected..."; the fuel leak and vapors along the wing had prevented him from seeing what had happened to the wing itself. The aircraft was repaired and saw further combat service.[78][79][80]

EDIT - so much for my memory... it was an F15.

Well, I suppose a Phantom is doing a good job to fly with two perfectly good wings.

As some pilots used to say, "The Phantom is proof that you can make a brick fly with enough thrust". ;)

Cheers, Willie.

Agreed, and so many RC model aircraft have just that excess of power than the real thing.

The flying brick comment I heard made by a now deceased ex WW2 veteran pal who saw them in Oz when we were leasing them prior to the F-111's becoming available.

Mind you, his experience was on C class flying boats and Martin Mariners, so the Phantoms were in another realm altogether.

They had a lot of handling problems & most were solved or contained by workarounds & design changes. The roll coupling was helped by the Stab Aug system & I think it was the Navy or Bauer who first saw the pitch up problem in the design. From memory, that was fixed by the dogtooth outer wings.

Also, at a certain AOA, putting the stick to the left would result in the aircraft turning right. I don't think that was ever fixed; they used their rudders a lot in that situation to turn. Mostly due to their spoiler/drooping aileron setup creating drag.

It was certainly no air superiority fighter & would go into a spin at the drop of a hat if the pilot didn't hold his mouth right.

But I guess it was a big powerful lethal beast and people had a healthy respect for it. From what I can gather, it had to be flown fairly precisely or it would bite. Flying Brick sounds about right.

At least in Vietnam when they came up against the MiG-21's & the old MiG-17's, they had the power and speed to dis-engage, as they couldn't effectively dogfight. Different days; it's all a bit more technical now.

Apologies for getting a bit off topic from the original post.

Cheers, Willie.

So everything you read on the net is true Siz? You think if you had one wing gone you would still put full flap down for landing on the wing that's still there? Use asymmetric power all you like your not going to counteract one wing missing. You think with one wing gone you would have a bit of rudder trying to counteract the yaw? If they are trying to pass that video off as the real deal I call bullsh!t.

Hi SP ...

It's obvious that we're talking about two separate items here - (1)the video, for which I'm not going to make a case, and (2)the actual incident - the video may well be BS, but not the incident.

And to close - where, exactly, did I suggest that "everything you read on the net is true" ? Chill out: this supposed to be a friendly forum, if you weren't aware of the fact.