Another fuel fed fire caused by static

Hi all, I came across an article in the pilots notes of the RAAUS magazine of another static induced trike fire while refuelling. It is similar to mine except I wasn't burnt and they used an earth from the outset. Does anyone know anything about it?

Bluey.image.jpg.02f0bf8f02b63360e3cca7c214b33142.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Can't say I do Bluey, your was an Airborne also wasn't it. Contact the Tech manager when back in the office, he may be able to discuss the report with you.............Cheers Ross

Can't say I do Bluey, your was an Airborne also wasn't it. Contact the Tech manager when back in the office, he may be able to discuss the report with you.............Cheers Ross

Yes mine was an airborne too. The issue may be related to the funnel although the funnels are designed to be earthed as well. If you use a nozzle on the drum, it would be wise to have contact between the nozzle and the funnel to reduce the risk of sparking.

It's unusual that nobody is aware of this incident as the triking community is pretty tight.

Bluey.

Yes mine was an airborne too. The issue may be related to the funnel although the funnels are designed to be earthed as well. If you use a nozzle on the drum, it would be wise to have contact between the nozzle and the funnel to reduce the risk of sparking.It's unusual that nobody is aware of this incident as the triking community is pretty tight.

Bluey.

Bluey, my jiggle syphon is always immersed in the fuel in the funnel as well as in the jerry can, so I don't think there is any chance for static to jump across.

You are using a spout on the container with a good air gap for spark to jump across!