hi all. new Streak Shadow owner.

huggy98

• 1 year later...
hi andy. thanks for the concern and info but I hope it is unwarranted. I asked about any problems with over heating and I have been informed that it is perfectly ok. and I have no reason to doubt what I have been told. this shadow was built by two engineers, a bloke called ross leach, and his son danial and imho they have done a fantastic job with amazing attention to detail. this is a newly rebuilt engine and has been signed off as all Ts and Ps correct. it has an oil cooler fitted and the ducting and cowling is an ingenius work of art. the large bottom ducts direct air down through the front 2 heads and the large middle ducts direct air to the rear. the two smaller ducts at the top direct air to the barrels. it is then left open at the bottom and I expect the prop draws a huge amount of air through when on the ground.from the photos the ducting appears very thick, which might create a hotspot between the heads, but the edge is a T section and the walls are approx. 3mm thick and very strong. I don't even know what its made from but they did a first class job of making it. I know jabiru has two ducts at the front behind the prop, but these are for both heads and they are tiny. and behind the centre of the prop. to look at the shadow I cant see any reason why this should run and hotter than a jabiru. imho it looks to be a more efficient cooling system. I havn't flown it yet so I cant say for sure, but after really looking at it im not too worried. I have enclosed some pics so u can see what I mean and maybe give me your opinian. cheers m8. ps I have enclosed a couple of photos of a jabby powered shadow that flys in south Africa. this is fully enclosed and to look at has nowhere near the volume of cooling air going through as mine, and I am not aware of any problems with that one. what do you think? pps. the ducting is made from Kevlar and carbon fibre.

hi andy. thanks for the concern and info but I hope it is unwarranted. I asked about any problems with over heating and I have been informed that it is perfectly ok. and I have no reason to doubt what I have been told. this shadow was built by two engineers, a bloke called ross leach, and his son danial and imho they have done a fantastic job with amazing attention to detail. this is a newly rebuilt engine and has been signed off as all Ts and Ps correct. it has an oil cooler fitted and the ducting and cowling is an ingenius work of art. the large bottom ducts direct air down through the front 2 heads and the large middle ducts direct air to the rear. the two smaller ducts at the top direct air to the barrels. it is then left open at the bottom and I expect the prop draws a huge amount of air through when on the ground.from the photos the ducting appears very thick, which might create a hotspot between the heads, but the edge is a T section and the walls are approx. 3mm thick and very strong. I don't even know what its made from but they did a first class job of making it. I know jabiru has two ducts at the front behind the prop, but these are for both heads and they are tiny. and behind the centre of the prop. to look at the shadow I cant see any reason why this should run and hotter than a jabiru. imho it looks to be a more efficient cooling system. I havn't flown it yet so I cant say for sure, but after really looking at it im not too worried. I have enclosed some pics so u can see what I mean and maybe give me your opinian. cheers m8. ps I have enclosed a couple of photos of a jabby powered shadow that flys in south Africa. this is fully enclosed and to look at has nowhere near the volume of cooling air going through as mine, and I am not aware of any problems with that one. what do you think? pps. the ducting is made from Kevlar and carbon fibre.