X-Country? What should I expect?

Guest aaronb

Guest aaronb

After a bit of a break and alot of bad weather, ive booked my 1st lesson in a while, now the weather is fining up im going to get back into it, after a little revision ill be on to my X-Counrty, what should i expect in lessons to come? a shot flight to a close airport? or straight into the long stuff? any tips or coments?

I got thrown into the long stuff - 2.75hr+ flights - from the start.

Diversions will also be thrown in, so study up on those, and your map reading skills.

I found having a hand drawn mud map for every airfield i might visit along the way very valuable. One airfield per page, in an A5 spiral bound (at the top) notebook. Draw a representation of the airfield, where the windsock is, also include the CTAF, AWIS, Elevation, special airfield/runway rules (in point form).

Basically an easy to read single page on all the info you might need about that airfield. Underline "easy to read", because when you're flying the plane, and stressing about a field you've never been too, you don't want to be reading line after line of useless info - just simple point form, and in BIG writing !

James