Hard weather

Ross

Hi All

We had a bit of HARD weather arrived on Thursday night. It lasted on and off for about half an hour a looked a bit like a doughnut with the middle just filled in. It showed about 6 mm in the gauge even though Yanco only recorded 4 mm.

The photo shows three pieces that had started to melt before I put them in the fridge so they had lost most of their distinctive doughnut shape by the time I photographed them today.

[ATTACH]3313.vB[/ATTACH]

I thought our car would be damaged but it appears to be none the worse - we chucked a sheet over the roof of the car part way through the storm. The Jab is in the garage.

Regards

1754741090_F7920070816003.thumb.jpg.7428b71342ff49144c9640007c678db4.jpg

Got the priorities right, I see.....;)

On a side issue, the CSIRO did a study into hailstones and car damage after a bloody great hailstorm in Orange, NSW during the late 1980s.

They found to dint a car panel or crack a windscreen the hailstone needed to be about 3/4 inch in diameter.

They also found to prevent damage, even one woollen blanket on the bodywork was enough.

Ben

Hi Ben

As you can see from the photo these were well over 3/4" and not a regular sphere shape.

I think the thing that saved us was that they were distinctly doughnut shaped. I have never seen hail that shape before.

That probably reduced their terminal velocity. They were certainly making a hell of a din on our concrete tiled roof, on our outside gauzed in area with a metal roof and also when they hit the car roof and windscreen.

Regards