Urana Air Strip

Hi,I'm considering a trip to Urana, NSW.

Has anyone flown in there lately? Any advice on the condition of the strip, etc.? Is there a windsock?

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Tim.

I walked on the strip two weeks ago. I (we actually) assessed it as easily suitable for just about any light aircraft. The local pilot and care taker is Ralph Emery, but I can't see his number in the white pages. For many years Ralph operated a Victa from the strip and currently operates a trike from there. We did not walk the length, but no cat heads/thorns were seen. The surface looked good and was not overgrown, although it has rained since. The strip is flat, no slope, and Google Earth should give the length. The gate is locked to vehicle access. A sign says "TRUCKS ARE NOT TO BE DRIVEN ON AIRSTRIP". Very sensible. There are no facilities except one basic hangar. Unless you can speak to Ralph, the Shire council might be able to provide info. All in all, it looks good!

Fred

Urana Airstrip

The Urana airstrip was constructed in 1953 for use as an emergency air field for Urana and the district.

Located at Victoria Park, the following information may be useful to any pilots intending to use the airstrip.

Length: The strip is approximately 1,000 metres.

Surface: The strip has grass cover and runs E/SE to W/NW marked by white painted tyres. Has a windsock.

Location: World Aeronautical Chart 35° 20’ 40” south, 146° 17’ 00” east. The strip is located east of Urana and adjoins the Urana Golf Course.

Warning: A Power line is located 300 metres from western end.

Please Note: It is outside the technical expertise of Council and its officers to advise pilots as to whether they should or should not use the airstrip. Pilots should address enquiries about the suitability of the Urana Air Strip for their intended purpose to other pilots in the area or the relevant authority for an assessment of the ability or otherwise to operate from this facility.

No landing charges apply at this unregistered airstrip. No fuel is available.

For more information contact Urana Shire Council by phone on (02) 6930 9100 or fax on (02) 6930 9101 during business hours. Alternatively, email your enquiry to [email protected].

• Informative 1