Archerfield Aerodrome

Guest Sabre

Guest Sabre

Hi All,

Does anyone at Archerfield Aerodrome provide training for a Recreational Certificate or do any flying schools use LSA/RA-Aus type aircraft.

Cheers

Sabre, in response to the first part of your question, it is highly unlikely that anyone at Archerfield does RA-Aus Pilot Cert training, certainly nottraining out of Archerfield as it'sa GAAP (controlled airspace). To operate in controlled air one must hold as a minimum a PPL or be training with a Student PPL. Jimbo at Mackay has the same problem. PaulN

Guest Fred Bear

Don't be quite so quick to jump to conclusions. If you read this months magazine you would have noticed that there are an increasing number of RA-Aus schools operating out of GAAP's with appropriately qualified instructors. This will continue to increase over time. I suspect that they are using the RA-Aus registered aircraft to get students to the solo stage, then either "converting" to GA, or allowing them to go solo elsewhere. There "could" potentially be a UL registered Jab there; you should check, however it is probably one of the 12 Jabs bought by a private investor that is GA registered and online around the country. ClemBrown

Clem, I don't understand your slant on UL training within GAAP. Please elaborate.

Last week, while flying with a charter pilotout ofMackay (also GAAP) who tells me he is a GA and UL instructor, we got talking about training. He reckons that because his school (Aviation Mackay) operates in controlled airspacehe is unable to train for RA-Aus Pilot Cert level only PPL.

Cheers,

Paul

Guest Fred Bear

I'll have to check the RA-Aus mag again and possibly find the last one as it may have been in there.

There ARE schools now operating UL's out of GAAP aerodromes. One can only assume this is in an effort to remain competitive.

I believe Camden (Sydney GAAP) is the first such example.

There ARE schools now operating UL's out of GAAP aerodromes. One can only assume this is in an effort to remain competitive.

Surely this would only be a case of operating more affordable UL aircraft under VH reg for basic PPL training ... not Rec Pilot Cert training as Sabre is asking about.

So how does this fit with CAO 95.55 para 5.2 (d)? ...

"An aircraft may be flown inside Class A, B, C & D airspace only if all of the following conditions are complied with; (and I quote part (d) only here)

(d) the aircraft is flown by the holder of a valid pilot licence (not being a student pilot licence):

(i) issued under part 5 of the Regulations, and

(ii) that allows the holder to fly in the controlled airspace."

I'm confused now smiley5.gif... one says yes and another says no. Who's right and who's wrong and why?

if the instructor, who should be the PIC is qualified eg, a GA, PPL

instructor, then is it possible for instruction to be conducted within

a GAAP airfield in an RAA registered aircraft to PPL level??

Ultralights

Guest Fred Bear
if the instructor, who should be the PIC is qualified eg, a GA, PPL instructor, then is it possible for instruction to be conducted within a GAAP airfield in an RAA registered aircraft to PPL level??

Yes Ultralights, that's correct. You will find that the RA-Aus instructor is PPL qualified, but not necessarily a GA instructor. It is the case more and more now days that RA-Aus instructors are either PPL qualified or commercial / ga instructors who have got their ratings - it's merely checkflight for them to become an RA-Aus instructor.

I'd go out on a limb and suggest that it would be hard these days to find an instructor that is NOT PPL qualified, or atleast has been at some stage.

Obtaining a PPL is NOT THAT DIFFICULT. The most difficult partfor most of youwould be the theory. CTA is not a requirement for the issue of a PPL so one could obtain a PPL relatively easily. I guess the medical would be the biggest hitch for a lot of people too.

Guest Fred Bear
So how does this fit with CAO 95.55 para 5.2 (d)? ... "An aircraft may be flown inside Class A, B, C & D airspace only if all of the following conditions are complied with; (and I quote part (d) only here)

(d) the aircraft is flown by the holder of a valid pilot licence (not being a student pilot licence):

(i) issued under part 5 of the Regulations, and

(ii) that allows the holder to fly in the controlled airspace."

I'm confused now smiley5.gif... one says yes and another says no. Who's right and who's wrong and why?

I hope I've clarified this for you Paul.

An RA-Aus aircraft can fly into GAAP with a PPL at the helm.

A transponder is not required for GAAP for any aircraft

You CAN fly a 4 stroke homebuilt in RA-Aus into GAAP (eg Moorabbin / Bankstown) - with PPL

An RA-Aus student CAN fly out of GAAP if they have a PPL holder next to them as the instructor as the PPL / instructor is the PIC

An RA-Aus school can operate out of GAAP.

The major complexity comes at solo time for the student as he won't have a PPL or GFPT or Rec certificate, so he won't be able to go solo.

"Possibly' and I say possibly, they are using the basic hours in a RA-Aus aircraft to get them flying cheaper, then switching to a GA model, say a GA Jab to go solo under a GA GFPT after completing a brief flight test and BAK theory exam for GA - should save a bit of cash in the long term.

With GFPT a student pilot can fly with friends / passengers in the training area. It's like a RA-Aus cert without Cross Country endorsement, however they can fly with passengers, however the flight must be authorised each time by an instructor and check-rides are required at certain intervals. If you own your own GA aircraft you can't go out flying unannounced with mates in the training area on a GFPT. GFPT and RA-Aus without a CC endorsement are very different.

I hope that clears the water and didn't muddy things up for you!