Wake Vortex

Guest andrew55z

Guest andrew55z

Hello all flyers,

My interest is in all aspects of flight but I am not a pilot. My particular interest is in measuring aircraft wake vortices for RPT aircraft. We are planning a full scale test on Mel 16 in the near future. Watch for NOTAMS.

Great site, many thanks. Looking forward to the Mel AT feed!!!

• 3 months later...

New to the forums

Hi All

I'm a trike pilot from west australia and am a member of the Superlight Aircraft Club of WA based at Bindoon airstrip.. I have recently upgraded to an Airborne XT 912 from an Edge X 582.. I look fwd to chatting with other pilots on this forum

Guest Flyer40

G'day Andrew, welcome to the forum. Your intro reminded me of a question I once pondered. Do you know why the vortices of a 737 are audible when they touch the ground, yet vortices from larger aircraft including 747's are apparently not?

Hi AllI'm a trike pilot from west australia and am a member of the Superlight Aircraft Club of WA based at Bindoon airstrip.. I have recently upgraded to an Airborne XT 912 from an Edge X 582.. I look fwd to chatting with other pilots on this forum

Aha, another 'Bindoon Hoon'.....welcome

Guest sceadu52jr

B727 Wake sounds

Welcome Andrew, I can alway remember... while waiting for the train home from Whinstanes station near the old Brisbane airport at Eagle Farm, the TAA & Ansett B727's would fly over on short finals only about 200ft above. Three or four seconds later as the 727 disappeared behind the roof line we would hear the distinct sound of the trailing vortice. I always wondered if it was the wake hitting the power lines beside the train line/road? It did sound like the sound was above us though (spooky! ..nothing but blue sky there!?).

Wayne