Strobes

I am looking at various options, but am planning on mounting a 360 degree tail fin 12-14V strobe light.

What experience has anyone had in choosing a good strobe system for this purpose? Looking for no more than 500ma draw, and low aerodynamic profile.

Your 500 mA limit might be an issue.

I have a Kuntzelman tail fin strobe (www.kestrobes.com). They quote it as 2 Amps but Claus Grimm has just tested it for me running direct off the lighting coil and he advises that it draws 1.2 Amps average when pulsing.

It seems to me that LED Headlights are just around the corner and (bright) LED landing lights are soon to be here, but I have tested an LED strobe ball and while it would be fine at night, they are not yet bright enough in daylight IMHO.

Let me know if you want a link to the LED Strobes and I'll dig it out.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Geoff

Guest Guest

Paul

Try also using the Whelen A610 lens (magnifying x 5 or 7) to improve the 'visibility' and output of the light - I usually pot them into the wingtips or tail with silicone, so maybe using a LED light with a flasher and the Whelen lens is an option.

jakesmiley1.gif

Hi Jake

I have been told more than once that our Texan TC Strobes light up like a spaceship with the Whelan Lens and the cost effective alternative strobe power pack that you fitted. I have not yet seen it flying because i have been hogging her for myself still. BUT the othersare starting to wise up so i suppose i will have tohand her over soon. Perhaps being able to check out the strobes may be in incentive to watch from the ground...just perhaps..! PS it is a nice feeling knowing that we are visible....!

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

Guest Guest

Ed

I forgot to mention the strobe power pack - they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Whelen but use the same connectors and you can program the flash pattern.

jake

• 4 years later...
Guest Johnmec

power supply for Wehen strobes

EdI forgot to mention the strobe power pack - they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Whelen but use the same connectors and you can program the flash pattern.

jake

What brand are the strobes and where can they be bought?

johnmec

Guest Johnmec

power supply for Wehen strobes

EdI forgot to mention the strobe power pack - they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Whelen but use the same connectors and you can program the flash pattern.

jake

What brand are the strobe power supply and where can they be bought?

johnmec