Hi all

dunnc

Hi everyone,

I have started to save up some pennies to undergo flight training (probably from Bankstown). I have always wanted to fly and now the mortgage and kids age are at a more controlled stage I can start to get excited about this.

Looking forward to soaking up as much as I can before diving in so Ill spend my money wisely. Essentially I'm aiming for Ppl so I can fly the family on weekends away and plenty of solo time as well.

I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot in terms of how much training per month so I don't waste too much with remedial work. This will probably mean I can't start as early as I'd like but I'll have to balance enthusiasm with realities. I also want to ensure I have funds at the end to fly regularly after gaining license. Any advice is appreciated

Dunny

Welcome Dunny.

Good to have you aboard. Sadly, Bankstown airport is becoming a bit of a ghost town compared with what it used to be, but having said that, there are still quite a few training facilities there who would be able to help you. Have you considered taking a drive to The Oaks a few km's past Camden?.

They are a very friendly bunch there and you have choice of Sydney Ultralight Club and Dave's Flying School which will stretch your dollars further. David Rolfe The Chief Flying Instructor can be contacted on 0414 740 766. I'd suggest initially that you make contact and book a TIF (Trial Instruction Flight) and if it's your first time, make it early in the morning when the weather is good as the air is normally smoother and more enjoyable. I think he still charges only $70bucks for a TIF which will take about half an hour and you'll get to have a fly of the plane as well. Most people come back with a smile a mile wide and wonder why the hell they never did it before.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif Good luck my friend and let us know how you go.

Kind Regards

Planey

Hi everyone,I have started to save up some pennies to undergo flight training (probably from Bankstown). I have always wanted to fly and now the mortgage and kids age are at a more controlled stage I can start to get excited about this.

Looking forward to soaking up as much as I can before diving in so Ill spend my money wisely. Essentially I'm aiming for Ppl so I can fly the family on weekends away and plenty of solo time as well.

I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot in terms of how much training per month so I don't waste too much with remedial work. This will probably mean I can't start as early as I'd like but I'll have to balance enthusiasm with realities. I also want to ensure I have funds at the end to fly regularly after gaining license. Any advice is appreciated

Dunny

Welcome Dunny:welcome:. I did the same thing early last year, and totally got a full dose of the flying bug. I achieved my Pilot's Certificate and PAX endorsement in Feb and my X-Country last month.If you want to go PPL I would say that the only downside would be the training rates. To go RAAus (RPC), the rates are typically from $200 - $250 per hour but GA(PPL) is typically $300 + per hour. An option could be for you getting your RPC+X-Country endorsement. Do a few more hours XC get a medical and convert to a RPL doing a flight test in the larger A/C. You can fly a few multi-seat aircraft under a RPL. Going this way would ensure most of your training is done at the lower cost.

I found that a lesson per week is the optimum, one a fortnight is ok, but any longer you tend to be playing catch up revising the skills you attained last lesson. For RPC I anticipate your initial costs will be your Student Licence $210, a Pilot Kit, $160-$195, this includes log book, and text books.

When you get your certificate, hire rates are much less than the training rates. RAAus aircraft are generally easier and cost less to maintain than GA, if you want to get into aircraft ownership.

The most difficult step to my pilot's certificate for me, was the first one. Good luck with it all, let us know how your doing when you start your training.

Cheers Tony.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm definitely open to all options thats for sure and have time to consider while I save. I mentioned Bankstown because I live on the Northern beaches and it is by far and away the closest however if cheaper options and more actual flight time can be had from Camden or the Oaks then I'd be a fool not to go and pay everyone a visit. I'll check Dave's out but has anyone any recommendation for Camden out of Curtis or Airborne Aviation? Is Camden fairly busy as well? Just wondering whether the benefits are worth the extra drive time.

I'l defnitely have a look at RPL + cross country, as this seems to fit what I want out my license but I thought that it would essentially be the same as a PPL anyway - if this is cheaper then I'll got that way for sure.

While I save I will try and self study as much theory as I can without the practicle experience balancing this out.

Much research to be done but good that I have some time while I'm saving so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks guys and looking forward to some serious lurking through these forums.

Dunny

Welcome to the flying fraternity you're in for the time of your life. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.

My apologies for having a weird sense of humour, but I am looking forward to calling you 'The Flying Dunny" (Hope I'm not in the poo for that remark). 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

While I save I will try and self study as much theory as I can without the practicle experience balancing this out.

Much research to be done but good that I have some time while I'm saving so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks guys and looking forward to some serious lurking through these forums.

Dunny

You don't need to save much, just have about $300 in disposable money for your training and a regular commitment of lesson money, and do the lessons as you can afford them. You have a month, or 3 flight lessons free before you have to fork out for your Student License. Most schools don't ask for the whole lot up front. Tony

Hi Dunny

I trained in Warriors and Archers as I also decided to get a PPL a few years ago, I would have to say I wish I had begun in the RAA system, I found the Warriors did not get you using your feet, and when I transitioned to RAA, the learning curve was not instinctive , what you learn initially will stick with you, so a really good instructor is in my opinion the most crucial item.

Best wishes with the training, it's great fun,

Mike