Further Learning via CASR Part 61

I thought it would be illuminating, yet somewhat disappointing, to tell you all about my recent learning experience.

Some 25 years ago, I sought advice from the head FOI of Western Region in regards to conducting low level training of GA pilots under CAO 29.10 in preparation for them going on to learn mustering or survey, sometimes ag. I, and others, was told that because we held ag ratings plus LL experience, plus a G1 instructor rating: that we could proceed with LL training without further 'training' or paperwork. This we all did, and so, over the years, accumulated a stack of training completions, (59 in my case). This totalled 330 hrs flight time. I also clocked up LL time doing LL animal surveys, photography and inspections for a total LL time of 600+ hrs.

Then, the feared CASA rewrite of Part 61 appeared. LL becomes a 'rating' so sorry, you're not an ATO/FE so can't do the tests. Whats more - sorry, we can't find any record of your 'approval' to even teach LL. You are in deep sh..! Despite my legally binding logbook entries: no, your logbook can't be used in support, (it could be fraudulent!). But, my logbook could well be incriminating because it accurately documents your illegal activities. By this time you will no doubt be wondering whether I'm penning this from HM 'Hilton'.

Well, it all resulted in an impasse. As you know, CASA requires a certified copy of every rating, endorsement or other qualification in your old CAR 5 records/logbooks - in order for it to be installed in your new Part 61 licence. As they say: a verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on: and so it was with my LL training approval.

So, I decided to invest in some upskilling with a local FE/ATO who has already converted all his tickets over to Part 61. I took my RV9A out for a warmup and flew to his base near Bunbury. Then, we did a briefing/discussion of 2.5 hrs on LL training, followed by a flight of 1.0 hrs in a C172 to checkout my techniques at low level in the hills east of Bunbury. We used tighter standards than in the Part 61 M-O-S, where they interestingly state that for professional LL flight we need +/- 100 ft in steep turns..... @ 150 ft agl? omg, we'd all be dead with those being followed!! I passed the requirements, signed the paperwork and headed home. It was instructive, and I picked up some points on managing the training, and how to keep unassailable student records. It was a good session and I appreciate the time he took with my 'training endorsement'. Total cost 1 day and about $1000.00 in all.

Then we had all sorts of delays while the correct Part 61 forms were located. Nothing is simple in Part 61: in fact, it's an absolute nightmare from an instructors viewpoint. Then, off they went to CASA.

All of the above was over 6 weeks ago, and, not unexpectedly, nothing has happened. In the meantime, I'm turning GA pilots away because I don't have the paperwork. However, my RAAus LL instructing approval remains valid....I hope!

In the overall scheme of things, I guess that whether an old instructor is allowed to teach a minor interest endorsement cum rating, isn't all that important. However, it just illustrates the complete schemozzle that Part 61 has become. As noted author/airline Capt Byron Bailey has recently stated: why didn't we just adopt the US FAA Part 61, or even the Kiwi Part 61 which is even shorter. What is it about Australia that we have to re-invent the wheel in aviation. Its not as if the US isn't running a somewhat larger fleet of aircraft than Australia, (read about 20:1),and have most of the major manufacturers located there and using the FAR's.

The combination of lengthy and prescriptive legislation, strict liability for infringements, and a multitude of endorsements, ratings, approvals, exemptions and legislative instruments is strangling 'general' aviation.

In the meantime another year has passed for me and I'm now 76 years young.

cheers and happy days. Spring is here at last!

• Like 1
  • Informative 2