Choices

Guest Redair

Well if I could have a strip at my home, I would probably be going for a Jab of one sort or another. But I'm not sure if the local farmer would want to part with a large chunk of paddock for me to do that, or for that matter if I could afford to buy land AND the plane. Low wing a/c's might look flash and sporty, but I do wonder as well about the chances of getting out of one in a hurry if it goes tits-up.

Kits might still be the way to go, but again, they all seem to end up costing far more in time and money than advertised, plus I would still need to be shelling out the $$$ to fly someone elses until mine was ready.

Maybe the Ultralight Fairy will come one night and leave me the perfect aircraft, and I'll be able to rid myself of all this worry, and still get to keep my money... ah if only!

But until then, I'll just have to keep re-hashing the list, and if I can get a flight in the few that I narrow it down to, then maybe the choice will become clear.

Redair.

of course re the previous post the J170 is the same wing as the J230 anyway.

If cost is an issue for you but you want performance, then perhaps a 6 clyinder J170 would be the go for you (homebuilt only). For the cost of the engine upgrade plus $1,000 extra for the cowls you can now order a 6 cylinder to be homebuild or factory-assisted.

Yes - a 6 cylinder J170 - Empty weight around 330 kg LSA = 600kg - so 270 kg payload (J230 around 240 kg) and wider cockpit and about $7000 less than the J230.

(around 88000)

regards

Sorry, no 6 Cylinders for Tooradin - yet. If you want 6 cylinders you'll have to fly mine, or the Cirrus.

Geoff, yep, definitely now available. There are 2 being built in OZ that I am aware of and a few have been shipped overseas. As a general rule I believe Rod suggests not to go for the 6 cylinder due to some added pitching/pitchiness (is that a word), however if you've flown a 6 cylinder SP you'll know that with a little practice it's ok.

A J170 with 6 Cylinder will certainly climb well, I'd love to have a go and see what it is capable of. Cruise should be 120'ish I would imagine.

Tough call weather to just go for the J230 instead if you are spending that kind of dosh, however the J160 does have the advantage of being a larger cockpit, lighter and smaller requiring a tad less hangar space.

BigPete - interesting that you have posted an empty weight of 330kg for the 6 cylinder J170 as my J400 is only 349 empty. The new engines are slightly heavier and the wings add a bit too I guess.

Sorry, no 6 Cylinders for Tooradin - yet. If you want 6 cylinders you'll have to fly mine, or the Cirrus.

I might just take you up on that one day when I decide to make my PPL current again. :big_grin:

I must admit that I'm having a lot of fun with the J160 and the Texan at the moment (there's a climbing machine for you) ;)

looking forward to the J170's

regards

Phil

I haven't spoken to Eugene yet, they might be already there. They were due to be picked up this week from memory. There was a small delay prior to Christmas as one had some big scratches on the window prior to pickup and it probably had to be replaced.

I did my PPL renewal a couple of weeks ago. Pretty easy. Overflew Moorabbin from Tyabb, headed towards Latrobe Valley, diverted to Tooradin (of all places), then back to Tyabb after a forced landing at French Island. Pretty simple stuff which was good. Safe to fly for another 2 years.