New Zealand

Guest JRMobile

Guest JRMobile

The better half and myself will be taking a break in New Zealand during March – one hell of a nice country, very visual / scenic. Where as we do broad flat land, they do vertical. :big_grin:

A few questions re flying in NZ: Has any member of the forum flown ultra lights over there? What were the licence requirements? Did you rent, borrow, or steal said plane and where? Has anyone any recommendations for friendly clubs? Any info at this stage would be appreciated.

And to our New Zealand forum members jump right in!

Guest pecram air

My wife and I will be in NZ in March. We decided to the oldies (aviation) bus tour of the South Island ending with 3 Day gold passes to Warbirds over Wanka. Who knows what I might get a chance to fly in.

Regards,

Phil C.

In Nov my wife and I flew extensively (7.8 hrs) over the south island.

Out of Christchurch with Canterbury Aviation winding our way through the valleys and foothills west of the Canterbury Plains up to 10500' and around Mt Cook, over several glaciers down the alps and over unbelievably beautiful lakes for a stopover at Omarama for fuel and lunch. Then back over the alps, around Mt Aspiring, over to the west coast and down to Milford Sound for the most awesome approach and landing I'm ever likely to experience. More fuel and snack then off again for more awesome flying out of the Sound to climb out through the eastern passes, over more lakes, over top of Wanaka, over Lindis Pass to head back to Christchurch over more of the Canterbury Plains.

Then another day out of Nelson with the Aeroclub over the north coast to Abel Tasman Nat Park then cut over the bay to tour all over Marlborough Sounds across to Picton and back.

We did these flights in company with an instructor (nice young ladies in each case) in C172's. We looked into hiring a Tecnam out of Wanaka but Ruth Presland advised that I would need to put in a few hours doing "mountain flying" training before they would consider releasing a rental to us. Having now flown the country I reckon this is a fair call, the weather and winds in their alpine areas can be formidable and something we never get to experience here in Oz. Also, to use my PPL to fly solo in NZ required sitting a NZ flight law test and several hours duel before being able to hire and fly. So, we ended up hiring the 172 complete with instructor which worked out really well. In each case the girls were great company, knew their way around and provided interesting commentary.

If you do get the chance to fly DO IT, you won't be disappointed ... it's just magic.

Here's a few pics to whet your appetite.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. Phil, you’re gonna have a great time, enjoy.

343514635_MtCook.thumb.jpg.b892821598a2bf549fb6203b64679f52.jpg

483572181_TasmanGlacier.thumb.jpg.f084a6f5d42ef4af56d9a81b331aa797.jpg

925448383_LakePukaki.thumb.jpg.02fd72b1326099adac06275154bddea7.jpg

822153502_MtAspiring.thumb.jpg.c7a84e02a504a723f73e3a6229fe2fef.jpg

1608329896_MilfordSnd.thumb.jpg.d001ba30bca8613557a8c77083e3d912.jpg

Wanaka.thumb.jpg.5ac7d80f1121a84bd0e62ec96c646dfa.jpg

Picton.thumb.jpg.2caa62c393c81cb31efbeab4bc094626.jpg

726145179_FrenchPass.thumb.jpg.b4169abe152850eecc15818c7d18bdc4.jpg

Guest pelorus32

Great photos Paul,

the photo of Picton brings back memories. Looking at the photo there is a biggish straight road that departs the left end of the waterfront and goes right up to the back of town. On the corner of the waterfront and that road is Oxley's Hotel. As a 5 year old I lived at Oxley's for several months and started school in Picton. A great place in those days...not so long ago.

As for French Pass. The Admiralty Pilot for NZ used to say something like "Masters are warned that even large steamers may find themselves unable to make headway against the tidal streams".

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Back to the original question: I queried the CFI at the Sport Aviation Corporation in NZ about the requirements for foreign pilots - specifically someone with an RAAus Pilot's Certificate. The answer he sent back was to refer me to the attached doc.

I have queried him with respect to our lack of medical certificate and I will let you know his answer.

Regards

Mike

Foreign Pilots Section-1.doc

As a 5 year old I lived at Oxley's for several months and started school in Picton. A great place in those days...not so long ago.

If that's on the west side of the street that building has recently undergone refurbishment and has some nice eateries on the street front now. The building next door has just finished being refurbished and is now a complex of several retail outlets. Picton is very much a touristy town, no doubt thanks to the ferry terminal.

Paul

Guest JRMobile

Thanks Paul, amazing pics, looks like you had great weather for both flights. I will make contact with Canterbury Aviation and sound them out.

And thanks Mike for the link "Foreign Certificate Holders - Cross Crediting" from this I see that it is possible but may not be worth it for 5 hours joy flight.

Phil C. have a great time at Wanaka we will miss it by two days!!068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

John

John,

Re-arrange your flights. It's one of the best airshows you'll ever see if you like WWI and WWII vintage aircraft, not to mention spine tingling aerobatics by people like Jurgis Kairys.

This will be my third time, and my wife even lasts for at least two days, when two hours is her more normal "are we there yet?" limit.

Bruce.

I will make contact with Canterbury Aviation and sound them out.

John,

When you make contact with Canterbury Aviation, Cassie was our instructor/tour guide. We chose CA as our arrival in NZ was at Christchurch and it suited us to do the flight the day after we got there. When we went to the airport that morning the wx was really ordinary, overcast with base at 1500'. But with Cassie's local knowledge we headed off just under the cloud for the first 30 mins and just before reaching high ground the sky opened up nice and blue ... great stuff.

If Christchurch is not the most convenient for you, you might be able to arrange something out of Wanaka (or other strips) which could work out cheaper with less flight time into the alpine area. Just a thought. CA's 172 (ZK-RMX) is powered with a 180HP donk and gets along nicely at 120kt, but doesn't have brilliant endurance, something like 43 lph. If you're talking with them please remember Gwen and I too them.

Paul

ZK-RMX.thumb.jpg.15f74e1912df9e1cbfe834290511218c.jpg

Guest JRMobile

I was working in NZ 3 years ago and had the opportunity to drive over to Milford Sound one weekend and just stood at the air strip and marveled at the take off and landings!!! Very gusty boys and girls.

"If you're talking with them please remember Gwen and I too them." Shall do.

The Tecnam crew at Wanaka (U-Fly) also have a good web site and reasonable rates, might also be worth a try.

Thanks again for the tips.

John