Movie - The Aviator

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

I'll be waiting until it comes out on DVD but I was wondering if anyone has seen this movie and what you thought of it.

From what I saw of a preview on pay TV, it looks ok, but knowing Hollywood well.... :roll:

Guest Man Friday

Since I first saw the ads for the The Aviator, unusually, I wanted to see the film. Then it was advertised at the local cinema several months ago, went mid week, 6 people in the cinema, and my enjoyment was tainted by my wife eating popcorn throughout the whole movie.

But as to the film itself, as a film it was OK, but as a piece of history about the life of Howard Hughes, usual movie version of the truth.

Waiting to rent the DVD, found out it's available locally, to see if my first impression still holds..

:?

Guest Man Friday

Still trying to rent The Aviator DVD, but still out.

For those who wish to watch a documetary about Mr Howard Hughes, may I suggest "Howard Hughes, The Real Aviator." Had it sent over from the UK, 2 hour documentary, actual footage of Hughes's escapades, interviews with Hughes friends.

Guest Glenn
as to the film itself, as a film it was OK, but as a piece of history about the life of Howard Hughes, usual movie version of the truth.

I was afraid of that. Hollywood always tends to do that. Take for example Titanic and Pearl Harbour. I still haven't seen Titanic and don't intend to. Too much lovey dovey going on and who wants to listen to that moaner singing. :evil:

Don't know when the Aviator will be on DVD here but I'll look out for it and watch it just because it's aviation related.

Guest vh-tqp

didn't bother and wouldn't bother. from the 3 seconds of shorts i saw looked like the usual hollywood schmaltz of dressing up history with a bit of a love story.

I have a paperback bio "the Amazing Mr Hughes" which will have more truth in it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Glenn

Just finished watching it. I guess it was ok but am undecided. You would have to read the book about Howard Hughes for comparison. I have the book but don't know if I will read it or not.