Has anyone ever done a trial introductory flight?

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a trial introductory flight? If you are a pilot tell us of your introductory flight or if you are a non flyer like me and did one as a one off then please post about it.

I was all set to go ahead with getting my private pilots licence but due to unforseen circumstances that has been squashed.

Anyway, early one morning a couple years ago off I went to a local airport and where there was supposed to be a Cessna 152 waiting, there was actually a Duchess twin engine plane waiting. It turns out the flight instructor was supposed to pick up the 152 at a nearby airport but couldn't get into the hanger. There was the Duchess that he borrowed and we were going in that.

After a pre flight brief and walk around we were set to go. Imagine my surprise when he told me that I was going to taxi and takeoff :shock:

I got to taxi to the runway. Hard to get used to at first but I managed to line up ok. My instructor (Mike) told me to apply full power, released the brakes and we were off down the runway. Mike of course kept us straight but I did the rest. At around 80 knots I began to gently lift the nose, up we went. Wow what a feeling. Totally way beyond what I expected. I had the impression that I was only going to be handed the controls once we were at a safe altitude. Actually I'm glad that I was able to do this. We flew to a nearby airport where I was able to do a circuit and line up the runway for landing. Once lined up Mike took over and when we were safely on the ground I taxied to the apron.

We picked up another student and this time I was in the back seat where I could sit back and enjoy the country scenery.

Driving back home from the airport I felt like I was still flying the plane. It sure was a great feeling. I doubt that I will get to do this again or continue with lessons but I highly recommend a trial introductory flight to anyone.

Glenn

Guest Ultralights

that was in interesting TIF. most are usually just around the local area for about 30 mins, but still, the student is aloud to do quite a bit of the work! with the instructors hands close be and ready to help, or take over!

but doing it in a twin! i still have never flown in one! (not including airliners and commuter airlines)

Guest Glenn

So I guess I will consider myself lucky :) The flight lasted for about 35 minutes from Young to Cowra. We got up to about 5500 feet. It was certainly a great flight. :D

Guest Chadza

My first TIF I was taught how to do wingovers in a jabiru 2 seater!! 8) I think thats what got me hooked on flying. :D

Chad

• 1 year later...

TIF in a Citabria

On my TIF I looped a Citabria over Warragamba Dam. That was something! It probably contributed to my signing up for lessons :D

Guest The Hammer
On my TIF I looped a Citabria over Warragamba Dam.

Intentionally, I hope! :? Yes, the concept of a TIF is to let the student THINK how easy this flying is going to be.....probably better named a CIS.

Come In Sucker.

Not really though - it just whets the appetite even more for those who thought they'd enjoy the experience of flight.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was the first time I got airborne hang gliding (at that time I think I had about 5,000 hours of powered flight time).

The sensation of being gently lifted off the ground...the wind in my face, with my legs dangling freely.....then came the landing!!!!

Yes the loop was intentional

Hammer

My instructor has a sense of humour. She just wanted to show me that if the elevator was held back and kept back (after a shallow dive to build up speed to 120 kts) that we'd continue round in a circle. :D

I'd already decided to go the whole way to PPL, but this flight certainly did no harm.

And you're right - it has been harder than I thought. I've lost count of the circuit sessions I've had. Pesky tailwheelers... :roll:

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alex Short

Iain - you're the guy on pprune who recently first soloed in one of the Curtiss Citabrias?