Seat Guide

Guest atlantis

Guest Glenn

No haven't seen that before. Thanks for the link. It's on my fave list to link to when I add more to the web site.

I'm not sure if you can actually pick the seat you want. I think this is just a guide of what type of seating is available. Maybe someone else can elaborate further on this.

Guest atlantis

I checked in early for a Virgin flight from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney the other day and got offered the seat next to the emergency door over the wing.

Great leg room, all carry on luggage has to go into the overhead locker and you have to assist the crew in case of an emergency. I thought oh well, why not?

One thing though, I like looking out the window and I am sick of getting a seat over the wing. With this information I may increase my chances of scoring a seat just in front of the wing.

I must be the important people that get up the front, and I am not talking about first class. It was the other way around when we bagged our seats on the school bus.

One thing to mention about the seat next to the emergency door, it did not have an outer armrest. Sorry I don't know the model of the aircraft. It looked old though because a handle cover was falling off the door and I was afraid if I touched it I would be sucked out.

Guest Glenn

Most definately a 737 if you were flying Virgin Blue. Sounds like they gave you the seat everyone rejects. I'd prefer a decent seat with a good view.

Guest Guest

Funny the different ideas various people have.

When I used to travel all the time, I always tried to get the emergency exit row seats, you used to even be able to reserve them years ago. :D

I wanted them mainly for the extra leg room, but also just in case of trouble so I would be near an exit.

Some models do have an arm rest attached to the hatch, but others don't.

Don't worry about it opening on you, on a serviceable aircraft you can NOT open that hatch in flight even if you want to. :D

• 2 months later...
Guest atlantis

I guess I had just watched a TV show on air disasters and one case was about a 747 electrical wiring fault which could cause a cargo door to open mid flight.

http://avstop.com/Technical/Burning.html

I know it is a different model plane and that particular fault has been fixed on all planes. But it is hard not to think about doors opening mid flight when the door right beside you is obviously damaged.

Guest vh-tqp

cargo doors open outwards for the obvious reason that you get a nice big hole to put things in and it doesn't foul on the cargo when you close it. the pressure inside the cargo hold is trying to force the door open, which is why it has all those locks. note united 747 and a few DC10's, especially a turkish one in france.

passenger doors open inwards, the pressure keeps them shut. as lame said, you couldn't open one in flight if you wanted to. i know you've seen the passenger doors on the outside, they open in, rotate through the hole then go outside.

i've tried to get exit row seats too, but beware that sometimes they have the escape slide there, and you get even less legroom.

don't sit in the middle of malaysian 777's - 5 across!

Guest Guest

They are called "plug doors". :D

All modern Airliners that I am aware of have plug doors everywhere in the pressurised area. :D

They latch in place to plug the opening, and the more pressure you put on them, the more they plug the opening. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sunshy
But it is hard not to think about doors opening mid flight when the door right beside you is obviously damaged.

Keep in mind that the cover you mentioned is designed to be easily removed in case of an emergency. It's just to hide the opening mechanism from view.

Personally, I'd rather have a cover that's coming of on it's own, than one that doesn't come off when I need it to. The emergency exits on Falcon 2000's are very hard to remove, wouldn't want to have to use those.

BTW, if you're flying long haul, fake a knee injury to get a bulkhead seat. Works just about every time and you get near business class legroom, with the added advantage that you can stretch your legs up against the bulkhead

Guest atlantis
BTW' date=' if you're flying long haul, fake a knee injury to get a bulkhead seat. Works just about every time and you get near business class legroom, with the added advantage that you can stretch your legs up against the bulkhead [/quote']:lol: I am flying return Brisbane-Sydney September, may try something like that and go for the spot next to the emergency exit again. I have a 4 year old son, do you think they would they allow him to sit there too? Virgin's conditions were that I agree to assist the crew in case of an emergency.

This time I am flying one way JetStar and the other way Qantas so it might be a different plane anyway.

Guest Ultralights

what are VB like with reserving an emerg exit! now they are flying direct to hervey bay, i will now fly Vb instead of ID90 on QF to brissy, then Bundy, then 1 hr drive back to hervey bay..

i love the emerg exit seats...

Guest atlantis

I was offered it because I was the first to check in.

I don't think you can book it, unless to call ahead with a story about an injured leg or something.

Guest Guest
call ahead with a story about an injured leg or something.

That is a good plan. :roll:

IF the people are doing their job properly, then you would be the LAST person they would give those seats to. :shock:

In case of an emergency, you would hinder the evacuation with your injured leg. :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest colt_pa22

737NG over wing exit doors open outwards like a DC-10 cargo door, would these be considered plug doors?

Guest Guest

Don't forget that all B737 cabin doors open outwards, but they are still plug doors.

An excellent site if you are interested in B737s, although it may not have much about doors, is this one. :D

http://www.b737.org.uk/

Guest colt_pa22
Don't forget that all B737 cabin doors open outwards, but they are still plug doors.

All modern Airliners that I am aware of have plug doors everywhere in the pressurised area

Yes, I agree with the first quote. However, 737 NGs have over wing exit doors which open out, (non plug) in the pressurised area.

colt

Guest colt_pa22

The difference being the over wing 737 NG emergency exit doors are non-plug like a DC10/747 cargo door.

colt