Ansett Again............ ????

Guest Guest

Guest Glenn

I don't know what to think of it. If it's for real then why the old livery and why Fokkers?

Also why isn't their domain registered as a .com.au instead of .com

Might email them later and invite them here for comment.

Guest Guest

IF they are for real :roll: the Fokker F27 would be an ideal Aircraft, you can still operate them in Australia, as long as they are hushkitted. :D

As for the livery, again IF they are for real, I guess it would be to hopefully use any goodwill still associated with the name and old livery. :D

Why else would they even call it Ansett.

Guest vh-tqp

As much as i love them, and apart from the F27's being reeeeeal cheap but a large cabin, wouldn't it make more sense to use Dash 8's :?: :shock: Quieter, more available,faster, more efficient, more support, more trained crews ...

At one of the ansett auctions, someone told me that SQ bought the ansett name, but so far an unfounded rumour.

I think jetstar's website is .com 8)

Rob

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Glenn

Had a brief chat to VH-TQP tonight in the chat room about this so I decided to see if I could find anything else.

I found this news article from May 5 from the Herald Sun

Ansett returns to the skyIan Royall

05may05

THE Ansett name is to fly again ? as a regional carrier in north Queensland.

A Townsville businessman has registered the name and hopes to launch passenger and freight services by August.

Terry Byrt has even adapted the old Ansett logo and red, black and white colours used by the airline in the late 1960s.

The new carrier will be formed by merging existing small carriers and the purchase of five 50-seat Fokker Friendships.

Mr Byrt said he was using the Ansett name "because everyone knows what it is".

Mr Byrt, with a background in mining and fishing, has formed a private consortium backed by $20 million funding.

"It's no joke and we haven't treated it like that," he said.

The names Ansett Airways, Ansett Air Freight and Ansett Airways Holdings were registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission five weeks ago.

"We've purchased five existing airlines in charter and RPT (regular public transport) operations. Just small ones," Mr Byrt said.

One of the airlines already holds a flying licence for high-density flights, he said.

The contracts would be settled after regulatory approval, Mr Byrt said.

Former Ansett staff had already contacted him with their opinions about the proposal, he said.

"A lot of them are saying, 'Congratulations, it'll be great to see the Ansett name back in the air'.

"Others are a bit more sceptical. We don't propose to be anywhere near the size of Ansett."

Mr Byrt said he hoped the carrier would fly routes to Gladstone, Mackay, Hamilton Island, Townsville, Mt Isa, Cairns, Brisbane and Horn Island in the Torres Strait.

Ansett, founded by Sir Reginald Ansett in 1936, collapsed in September 2001 with huge debts.

And this article emailed to me by VH-TQP