Hoxton park to Wollongong

Guest Ultralights

Guest Ultralights

long weekend! must go flying! weather was a bit overcast, well, 8/8 at 4500, which meant no sun, and no thermal turbulence! yay

weather predicted a 10/15 Kt North westerly wind, yet all was calm at ground level. weather radar showed no rain within 100 miles of sydney, so off i went.

Departing Hoxton park on downwind

friends house!

My track took me over wedderburn airfield, which was surprisingly quiet on such a day! a few quick miles later, i passed over one of sydneys near empty dams.

same dam

A quick look over my right shoulder, and a sight that i didnt want to see, the clouds had opened up, now rain doesnt bother me, but as i approached the escarpment, i had a rethink, rain could lead to lower cloud base, and with the height of the escarpment, i decided to return home, and give wollongong a miss.

view looking towards the gong over the escarpment.

This is why i turned around! lots o rain! and approaching fast.

tracking towards Hoxton park! and a lot slower than planned! nice 30 Kt Headwind!! oh well, the aircraft needed a wash! carby heat on.

yep. good headwing alright! 92 Kts indicated, 60Kts groundspeed. fortunatly the cloudbase didnt get any lower. i had wedderburn as an alternatee if things turned ugly. always have an escape route!

approaching YHOX in light rain, still with the 30 kt winds, surprisingly as smooth as silk even at 30 kts! winds below 500 ft were still calm!

after the flight above, i stuck around for another hr of circuits! great day for practice, light rain, good strong smooth crosswinds! great for practicing your tracking skills to maintain a square circuit!

generally a good days flying!

Guest Glenn

You could use imageshack for hassle free uploading. We had fine weather here in town today and I was privledged to get a ride in a 1948 Auster VH-KSN. Did a couple orbits around town. I had a camera with me and I was going to try to get a few stills to put here. Got 3 shots and the rest was video. There isn't a lot of room in the cockpit to move your arms around to get photos :)

Although I didn't meet them, we had some visitors from Hoxton Park today. It was a Piper and I cannot remember the rego off hand.

Was that a Jabiru you were flying, Ultralights?

Guest Ultralights

yep, its a jabiru alright! and guess what! they leak! after about 10 mins in constant rain, the water managed to get past the weather seals, and quite a bit!

cruise speed in these is usually about 95 to 100 Kts. (in the yellow arc) but i reduced power to give approx 90 kts cruise...... wood propellor! which dispite being at cruise power for a good 40 mins in medium rain, showed no signs of erosion on the rubber coating what so ever!

Guest Glenn

You should do a trip up ths way one day. Make sure you fly over Wyangala Dam. It's around 6% capacity at the moment. Someone found their speed boat after nearly 20 years submerged when it exploded and sunk.