Airforce Grave Yard?

Guest atlantis

Guest atlantis

Apologies to people who can't get Google Earth working on their computers.

But I just have to share this because I have never seen so many military planes in one spot.

Google Earth Link

It is just paddock after paddock of perfectly positioned fighter jets, bombers etc arranged on the ground. Scroll to see the extent and you wont even bother counting.

It is almost like they are on satellite display as a psychology trick for the enemy.

Are these obsolete or current planes?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vh-tqp

i'd say these are being stripped to support others that are still flying. zoom in and you'll see some F111's. Don't know if they're ours. RAAF bought some for spares, but the entire aircraft is not allowed out of the country intact. when the RAAF wants a part, it get's taken off and shipped. our original F111's have been rewinged with boneyard spares.

during some arms reduction treaty, 70'd or 80's, the B52's etc were lined up in rows to be counted by soviet satellites, and then destroyed.

do you know if this is the AMARC boneyard?

some types, say phantoms etc are stored for regeneration for a prolonged conflict, where they can be got rid of through "attrition". as newer types are stored, the older ones are scrapped.

rob