Learning to fly question

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

I've been considering learning to fly for quite some time now but finances are pretty limited. I'd like to learn in a GA aircraft but have been told it is much cheaper to start in something like a Jabiru and then progress to a GA aircraft. Has anyone done this? I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Someone also said the Jabirus are a bit hard to handle at times.

Guest Ultralights

Flying a Jab will cost about $90 an hr, whereas a Piper warrior can be as much as $160.

Though flying a Jab is easy, about as easy as a warrior or cessna, but they are difficult to fly well. which can be a good thing, it will improve your airmanship and overall skill.

Flying a Piper or Cessna, they are pretty much feet on the floor aircraft, only needing rudder to counteract crosswinds on approach and landing, and can be flown balanced with little or no rudder input, turning well using Aileron only, whereas a Jabiru will just roll on it axis and not turn if you use Aileron only, and requires a fair amount of rudder input to get a good balanced turn.

The only other obvious difference is the handling, a warrior or C150 is like the family car, rides well, handles ok, but thats about it, whereas a Jab is like a sports car, response to control inputs is quick, and not much input is required at cruising speeds, but at lower speeds, more input is required.

I would suggest getting your PPL in a Jabiru or similar, them prgress up to a Archer or 172 when it comes to navigation excercises. though i have flown the Jabiru on numerous navs. as well as the Piper Archer. if i want to take friends along.

Guest Glenn

Thanks for the info. Our local aero club has a jabiru for training and I may consider doing a trial introductory flight when they next have a tif day.