RAAF 737BBJ's

Guest colt_pa22

Guest colt_pa22

What would be the rough per hour operating cost of the 737 BBJs operated by 34 squadron Canberra? The PM and other minsters seem to be using these two BBJs (A36-001/2) quite a bit, it can?t be cheap?

colt

Guest vh-tqp

whatever it costs, it's a lot cheaper than the 707-338. i read the 707 has 40 man hours of maintenance per flying hour.

I notice this BBJ has afew more antennae and protrusions over the standard 737.

Rob

Guest colt_pa22

It does have a lot of antennae and protrusions; an interesting one is the bulbus hump on the top fuselage, above the large Australian flag. Quite a few other BBJ's have this same antenna: what sort of equipment would require this?

Colt

Guest Ultralights

that bulb on top o fhte fuse is the GPS.. its on all QF international aircraft as well, i remember actually installing those things a few yrs ago.

Guest colt_pa22

Subsequently, I've heard that the bulbus antenna is for the Sat Comm. Equipment, for the satellites phone and not for the GPS???

colt

Guest Ultralights

when we initially installed them it was for precision GPS according to the drawings , but that was some years ago, i remember working the drawings to install the structure itself and associated doubler work, i have minimal knowledge of the avionics to be installed and i no longer work for QF.

Guest Dunny

Other than the Satcom antenna it looks pretty much standard.

On top front to back, it looks like GPS, TCAS directional, mode S, satcom, VHF , ADF, some small unidentified antenna and then the ELT.