Formation flying

Guest colt_pa22

Guest colt_pa22

I?m hoping to do some formation flying this summer with a J1/N Auster to get some air to air shots of it, and also FUO. The owner of the Auster has limited formation experience. I have no formal formation flying training so is this such a good idea? Or is there nothing to it and its easy?

colt

• 4 months later...
Guest colt_pa22

I had my first taste of formation flying yesturday with a C172RG and the Tomahawk on the way back from Tyabb. Probably not the ideal setup but it was a lot of fun and we got some great air to air photos and video apart from some window reflection. I'll have another go next time with an aircraft of a similar cruise speed.

colt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jag75

I would get proper training first. Formation flying is a lot more difficult than it initially appears, and requires a fair bit of experience to get good at.

Once you learn to master it, your precision flying skills improve out of sight and you develop excellent situational awareness skills.

Update - just had a look at your pics. Very nice!

How did you find it?

Guest colt_pa22
How did you find it?

Bloody scary. Maybe just a bit too close for comfort, with myself and the other pilot having no formation experience. A PA-38 and a 172RG is not a very good match either.

colt