DC-3 turns 70

Guest Glenn

Had a look through it when it was owned by Pionair so will have to check it out again now. I'd come to Wagga to have a look but every time I go there I have an accident. Too many nut bags drive there.

• 2 years later...

I was working (ok - I was employed...) at Jackson oilfield Sth West Qld in the late 70's and we had a heap of computer equipment flown in courtesy of a Gooney Bird. I thought it was wonderful that an unkillable 30's aircraft was being used for delivering the "latest" (then, anyway..) computer gear:smile:

Here's a Gooney - taken at Temora last year. One of a pair side by side on the day.

[ATTACH]17851[/ATTACH]

IMG_9786.jpg.0ac4ee7c70dd9008c345a769d1dc8b8c.jpg

I'm still hoping to find out more about these modified Goonies - this one was photographed in France at La Fèrte Alais in September '07. I'm damned if I can find any reference to them on the web. Someone out there must know something about them, surely ... :confused:

[ATTACH]17854[/ATTACH]

IMG_6717a.jpg.9af9e1e2240ce33c809a069ee8301c68.jpg

Life would be simpler if it was a Super DC-3, but I don't think it is: here's another shot taken in 2001 (not by me, but it's the same a/c). The tailplane isn't right for a Super. Yeah - PPrune: migod, there are some egos in that particular piece of cyberspace...

[ATTACH]17855[/ATTACH]

F-AlaisDak2001_a.jpg.603c59e4d573aab21cca7627e083eec6.jpg

Yes DC-3. It has been retrofitted with the undercarriage doors.There are a number of threes with this feature. The engines don't look like 1830s... bit too long and stub exhausts rather than the one big one. The wing attachment joint is covered, another late mod for some I think.

I have a book on DC-3s SOMEWHERE but couldn't find it a couple of weeks ago. Gettin' old and have too much stuff maybe.

Yep: the engine cowlings are very different: "tight" is my word for them.

I believe it was a mod done for Air France in order to gain a bit (not much, would be my guess) of speed.

A retired ex Air France 747 pilot who has a similar veteran vehicle to ours (we were at Fèrte-Alais for a car rally) said that they used, on occasions, to be reluctant, though, to fully retract and close the doors. Solution - put the nose down, build up a bit of airspeed and then pull BACK on the stick to have the air-flow help for the process.

Dunno what the passengers would have thought......... "mèrde!" perhaps!

I think if they flush riveted the couple of hundred thousand exposed rivets they might get more speed out of the old girls, more than fairing the undercarriage and wing attachment.

VH-CWS flies about thirteen knots slower than the DC-3s I flew because of the bubble window down in the last seat row.

Ah... there IS something to be said for PpruNe after all - via a Hobart based member ("Fantome") of that group I'm glad to say that all will be revealed regarding the Air France modded Daks if you go to the Flight International Archives for 9th August 1962 pp 185 & 190, and 29th June 1956 pg 850.

You might like to try these links ('though I had trouble with 'em..).

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962%20-%201371.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962%20-%201376.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1956/1956%20-%200850.html

• 3 weeks later...