PILOTS

Guest Bmw

If you don't care about how much it costs to get your commercial licence, then why are you concerned about how much you'd earn if and when you get into the QF seat?

It was earlier suggested that you should get your commercial licence while still in school... Is it just me or would that be extremely hard to achieve. I got my PPL in the early stages of year 12, but would never have considered taking on all the extra theory and flying hours required to go to the next level... Then again maybe I was too busy working 30 hour weeks ontop of school to pay for my training...

In my opinion mate, keep your head down and focus on school. You don't want crap results coming back to haunt you later on down the track - I doubt QF would look to favourably only just passing their minimum requirements in Physics or Maths. Meanwhile, if for some reason flying isn't for you, or impossible because of medical or other reasons, good school results will be something to fall back on...

Hope some of this is of use...

Bmw

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure you are going into aviation with the right attitude.

I've met plenty of people who went for the money or glory. Daddy paid! They didn't have the bottle to do the hard yards mentioned here by others and gave it up.

You've got to be hungry for it.

The quickest way I pick up on who's going to make it and who won't is hearing, "I wouldn't mind being a pilot" and, "I'm going to be a pilot".

The graybeards who do the interviewing can pick the hungry young man and the glory boy in seconds of meeting them.

Pretty boring being a 747 second officer mate! The glory wears off in a short time.

Guest The Hammer

Robbo wrote:

Suggest you train to get your cpl during school then once you leave school try and get a job with a small charter operater.

lol, if only it were that easy!

There's no way you would be able to fit in the study required for a CPL, and your final couple of years in high school as well.

And as for that elusive first job....

There's an abundance of well qualified pilots still out of work in Australia - and even more with just a basic Commercial licence.

Pretty boring being a 747 second officer mate! The glory wears off in a short time.

But at least it's a couple of rungs up the ladder to somewhere, sixtiesrelic.As a strange matter of co-incidence, I was in the same company, and based at the same port in Oz as you, until 1989.

Drop me a line.