More of my vast Aeronautical background

Guest Bobby

Yea! Right! My background before entering the US Air Force consisted of riding in other people's planes and a lot of watching. My hours were in Aeronicas and Stinsons as a young boy. My Pastor and my uncle both had planes and I got in as many hours flying as I could. In the small town that I was raised in was home to Terry Cropdusting Service. It was the world's largest cropdusting service. Mr. Terry had a large fleet of Steerman Bi-Planes, the old double-winged planes. They had 450 horsepower Tornado engines in them. They could handle a full load of fertilizer or pest-control chemicals with ease. Mr. Terry had contracts all over the world. If the contract was in Mexico, Central America or South America they would fly from refueling station to refueling station till they got to their destination. If it was in Europe they would haul the planes and supplies on cargo ships. Nothing stopped them from cropdusting. I made the mistake of accepting an invitation to fly in one of his planes once. That was the first time that I ever flew upside down. Kinda scary in an open cockpit! Mr. Terry had no problem getting pilots because the airfield was a Pilot training station during WW2 and the area was saturated with pilots that had settled there and never left. I worked as a ground spotter for some of the cropdusters for a while. Not a good job!

Guest Swagman
I worked as a ground spotter for some of the cropdusters for a while. Not a good job!

Good stories Bob - keep 'em coming :) Having once been in a cotton field when some idiot pilot started spraying earlier than arranged I can identify with the statement above :(