DAD-SGN VN B772-ER Trip Report

Guest vh-tqp

Danang to Ho Chi Minh (HCM) City Vietnam Airlines Boeing 777-200 ER (Extended Range) (10 in the fleet) VN325

When I first checked this trip (to speed things up, rather than train from Danang to HCM) economy (at USD 54) was looking unlikely, "only business", hmm, didn't know the aircraft type, didn't know it would be that popular, and thought it would be a narrow body. So when I went off to contemplate the options, one was - I wonder how much business class is? USD74, ok about that's about AUD100, definitely a viable option - and yes there's availababilty.

First some words about DAD and SGN. I wasn't sure if this was the same Danang airport used by the US in the Vietnam war, aka the American war depending on your viewpoint. US Marines apparently landed to capture the airport, although it was well south of the DMZ and in Sth Vietnam. Danang is certainly a name I remember in news reports from 35 years ago, and the operations out of there were huge, and I wouldn't like to guess how many US military aircraft were based here. When I turned up it had that 60's / 70's feel, the buildings, the runways etc. The size and number of disused control towers, obversation towers / sentry posts and domed concrete shelters (which I'd be reluctant to call a Hardened Aircraft Shelter, but would provide some blast protection) left little doubt of it's former history. There are parallel runways, way too close for simultaneous commercial ops, but I could imagine simultaneous ops with Phantoms, Skyraiders, Caribous, Hercules and larger happening.

Ho Chi Minh (HCM) Ton San Nhut (spelling appears to be variable) Airport, its former name of Saigon is still evident in the unchanged airport code of SGN. This was the main entry and exit point for servicemen (including Australian) flying into the theatre in (usually) Pan Am 707's, and was another huge airbase for US aircraft.

It's obvious we're not business class professionals, but hey we could sure get used to it. None of this waiting with the plebs, the business lounge for us, with the free beer, fruit, drinks and nibblies, and wondering how we get summoned for the boarding call. I could hear the boarding calls for economy, shouldn't we get going, it's getting real close to the 17:00 departure. Finally the business class hostesses came around (right on 17:00). Even at this stage I didn't know the aircraft type, my window seat number gave me a clue - 1H, must be a widebody.

Finally out of the lounge, no airbridge, but a bus to the aircraft. Wonder if economy class had to walk that short distance. What's the aircraft ? Boeing on the rear fuselage, 6 wheel main bogies, has to be a 777. The new (since 2002 anyway) livery is beautiful, blue fuselage, golden lotus on the fin.

Quick thought back 35-40 years when this airport had 100's of US aircraft here- at this time there was just the solitary Vietnam Airlines aircraft.

Now this is class, as we take our business seats, I'm still carrying my Berghaus daypack which gets left against the bulkhead, it's been a long time time since I've sat in row 1.

The safety briefing was certainly better and more in depth than Air Lao, also found safety cards.

Noticed the TV monitor on the bulkhead was showing the taxiway markings, hey we're going to get skycam. Sure enough, soon as we roll, the nose camera shows all. The picture quality was actually rather poor, it ended up looking like a poor quality flight simulator.

Flying time to HCM is about 50-60 minutes, you don't need an Extended Range for that, but obviuosly they need the capacity for the route. Barely time for the beer, the light meal and to play with all of the electric controls that moved the footrest and the seat back, up down and sideways (almost). I was hoping we weren't causing power surges in the electrical system.

The presentation of the staff, the meal and the service were all excellent, and up there with usual high standards I've come to expect from asian airlines, but before you book SYD-SGN on this recommendation, remember it was a 60 minute flight.

A straight approach to Ton San Nhut, unlike 35-40 years ago when the 707's would be put into a corkscrew spiral approach to minimise time over insecure areas.

On arrival at HCM, also a huge airport, and has ven more rows of the concrete shelters, some of which are now used for helicopters. This is a real international airport, with some different airlines around the place, and an area of what looks like disused Russian turboprops looking vaguely like F27's (possibly F27ski's or Friendshipski's).

Our bags are amongst the first off, aaah, the advantages of business class. A $5 taxi ride, found a $10 hotel, and we knew we were back to reality.

Business class backpacking- I think I could get used to that.

Do you lose credibility as a backpacker flying Business????

Sorry- no pics. I'm going to need to get an ID on this russian stuff