flying school recommendations

Guest aeroeng

Guest aeroeng

Hello,

I'm returning to flying after a 12 year hiatus and I'm looking for a good flying school at either sydney or camden to get me from GFPT to PPL (and perhaps to CPL and instructor rating). My main criteria are professionalism with a good lesson plan (my last school at Bankstown never laid out a lesson plan and I never knew what I was doing from week to week. I just showed up and then they made something up on the spot. Then the instructor would run off to the next student almost as soon as we parked the aircraft telling me a de-briefing would just cost me more money. :evil: After about 4 lessons I gave them the flick). I also want a school that has a nice friendly/sociable feel.

I've trained with Air Australia in Jandakot before and they were fantastic. A school like that would be great. :D

Thanks in advance for any replies

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Glenn

Not being a pilot and unfamiliar with flying schools all I can suggest is checking out the directory. There is a section for flying schools there so have a look at their web sites and if you want to know anything more about them, just send them an email or call them.

These previous topics may be of some help to you as well

http://www.theaussieaviator.net/viewtopic.php?p=3515&highlight=#3515

http://www.theaussieaviator.net/viewtopic.php?t=1316

Guest lonewolf

choosing a flying school

Your best way is firstly locate a couple of schools near where you want to be.Then go down and speak to one of the instructors and check if he seems professional and friendly, check out their syllabus (if they have a written one) then check out their aircraft ,particularly in the cockpit(whether they are good looking and cared for or just ratty bombs with wings). Also check out their fly-ins,comps and social side.

It will take you a bit of work but it will narrow it down to a good club and not just a place where the instructor is using YOUR dollars to gain his advancement.

• 3 weeks later...

Chosing a flying training school

I've had 20 lessons with Curtis Aviation at Camden and from what I can tell so far they fulfill your requirements for professionalism and well-maintained aircraft. The atmosphere is friendly, I've always been briefed before the lesson and had a debrief afterwards, and I'm learning in a shiny new Citabria.

Have a talk with them, and maybe a trial flight, and see what you think.

Cheers

Iain

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davo

Hi Aeroeng,

I recently returned to flying also after a hiatus of some years. I'm flying with Clamback & Hennessy at BK. I believe they will provide the atmosphere of relaxed competence and professionalism that you require. Unlike the bigger "meat-grinder" schools they really take the time to ensure all students get genuine feedback. I feel like I am making real progress in my flying (now completing my PPL nav phase) due to this school. Give Jeff or Lyn a call, I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have also heard good things about Curtis at Camden as per the previous poster's response. Good luck!

Davo