Qantas Melbourne

Guest VH-TJT

On November 14th, the future of Qantas Engineering Melbourne will be revealed. Qantas are for a two airport maintenance program, Brisbane and Avalon, so it is not looking good for Melbourne.

Melbourne is the main Qantas 737 base, with the main hanger capable of housing 6 737's or two 747s at a time. It was originally built for TAA back in the 70?s.

TJT

If that?s the case will The Boeing 747's, Boeing 767's and Airbus A330's go to Avalon and the rest go to Brisbane?

The 747 fleet would most definitely be at Avalon.

The 767 fleet to Brisbane.

The 737 classic fleet most likely Avalon. The 737-800 fleet may be going overseas, Switzerland (A rumour)?

The A330's to Switzerland as well (a rumour)?

TJT

• 2 weeks later...
On November 14th, the future of Qantas Engineering Melbourne will be revealed.

This announcement has been postponed, Qantas are reviewing the review. It has been pushed back approximately 3 weeks from the date mentioned.

Brisbane has been set up exclusively to handle 767 maintenance, so it looks likes Avalon for the 737 classics if Melbourne is shut down. There is one lone 737-400 in Melbourne at the moment having a heavy maintenance check; the word is this will be the last.

Does anyone think Qantas is making a mistake outsourcing maintenance? Will the airline lose its core competency "quality" and "100% safety record" by sending maintenance overseas or to contactors in Australia?

TJT

Guest David747

Hello VH-TJT.

It all depends where Qantas gets its maintenence done overseas and who does it for them. If they get a very reliable and professional airline and/or maintenence source to do it, that's great, they'll be just absolutely fine. However, if they don't use a reliable and professional airline and/or maintenence source to do it, they are looking for huge trouble and possibly their first accident involving fatalities. They have had a brilliant safety record for 86 years (from November 16) and now's not the time to bruise it and give themselves a bad name. Rotton Dicko and his rotton management have already given Qantas a bad name in some aspects and as much as profits and Mr Money in the Bank is vital for them to survive, they cannot afford to not do maintenence and have huge fleet troubles and go bust just because half of their fleet is grounded and they lose millions and millions of dollars because of not doing simple maintenence. Ansett has gone down the toilet becuase of many mistakes made and I don't want Qantas to go down that same path. The A330s can do maintenence in Brissie and the big hanger 3 can also accommodate the A380. Despite the fact I'm not happy with everything Qantas chooses to do, they are still my favourite airline and I naturally do not want them to destroy their safety record and go bust etc just for making foolish mistakes that they could've avoided so easily.

David...

Guest Juliet Juliet Papa

Qantas is going down the same path as Ansett, you just dont know it yet. The government will take over Qantas if they have to. Its the "National Airline"

As for maint, that is why I left, being treated like shit.

767 maint hangar will be sold soon. (Boeing)

747 AVV is done by forstaff (shit maint, trust me)

737's will be sent to NZ most likely

A330 will be sent to MNL at Lufthansa

787 will be done in asia somewhere

A380 will be done at MNL

The future of heavy maintenance in Melbourne will be announced today. Qantas reps will be flying down in the morning to announce to staff whether Melbourne will be shut down or not.

Union representatives will be briefed half and hour before the staff, a disgrace on Qantas's part. I hope there will be security on hand because I think there is going to be trouble.

If Qantas wants a war, I think they're going to get one.

TJT

The latest exclusive news:

Qantas Melbourne heavy maintenance will not be shut down. Melbourne will be amalgamated with Avalon and both bases will work together.

TJT

Guest WillMikoyan

Well it's not exacty great new if job will be lost and there wioll be no apprenticeship offerings, still it's bewtter than it being shut down by a long mile.