GAruda 747 With Red tail?

Guest WillMikoyan

Guest WillMikoyan

So I heard about a 747 up at YSSY yesterday that had a Garuda logo on a red tail.

Whats up with this? Is it a Qantas jet leased to them or something else?

Does anyone have anypics of it? It'd be interesting to see.

Guest Chainsaw

Yep,

VH-EBY and VH-EBX Rolls powered 747-300 Classics. Under short term lease to Garuda. I could'nt get there to see them leave though. One left around the middle of the day Saturday and the other one mid afternoon Sunday.

Mind you I did see the one yesterday (Sun) at home while it was climbing out of 16 Right passing over Kurnell. The paint job on the tail was horrible. The white Garuda symbol overlaid on the red tail - yuk. Part of the white kangaroo on the red tail was painted in red. Even from a couple of kms you could see the red patch. Not nice and a shame to disfigure such a nice plane.

Chainy

Guest WillMikoyan

Ah so they wern't making it up. If it's a long term leas I'd assume they were using them for the hajj pilgramiges.

Yeah they sounded like it was a smeggy job, but I guess you've got to work wth what you've got. No point going to the expense of repainting if its just going to end up coming off after a few months.

A picture of the tail is here, that I'm talking about.

Guest WillMikoyan

The aircraft is on a short-term lease. It'll probably only have that livery for about two months. Apparently they lease these aircraft for use during the extremely high preak hajj pilgramages. The hajj pilgramage is an Islamic pilgramage to Makkah in the Middle East.

There's a photo also on airliners.net of a singapore 747 with a garuda tail and name painted on, but all of the side markings are Singapore airlines. An odd look.