VH-EBU - Rumor about future

Guest Chainsaw

Guest Chainsaw

Hi all,

Hearing whispers from 2 different sources that Good ol VH-EBU B743 may be partially restored and relocated to Longreach.

Does anybody know anything more about this?

There was talk at one stage that it would be used as a fishing/diving reef.

That would make an interesting collection at Longreach. The 707 VH-EBA (arriveing this Sat in Sydney), B742 and the B743??

:ch:

Hearing whispers from 2 different sources that Good ol VH-EBU B743 may be partially restored and relocated to Longreach.

1. Why would Qantas, spend/waste money on maintenance (D check) needed to make EBU airworthy only to rest her at Longreach?

Guest Chainsaw

I hear what you are saying TJT. In fact I agree with you.

The last time I saw a pic, it had no engines, and had lost a lot of other bits.

If they were going to put a 300 up there, maybe they will use one of the still flying ones, unless they wanted to have that colour scheme.

I suppose time will tell.

I don't agree with it but there may be some truth to this rumour. One of Qantas's 747s (I'm assuming it is a -300) is being moth balled according to the maintenance plan. I will be able to confirm the rego tonight.

TJT

Guest David747

Hi TJT/Chainsaw.

When I flew on EBT yesterday, I was informed that she was due for heavy maintenence and there is a possibility of one of the 747 300s going to Longreach but no answer as to which one. If it's not going to be EBU, hopefully it might be EBT.

David...

If any 747-300 should be preserved, EBU should be due to the fantastic colour scheme it has on it (Nalanji Dreaming is my favorite colour scheme of all the Dreamings). It would be a sight to see, EBU out at Longreach with its older relative, EBQ. I would certainly be making another trip out there if this goes ahead, 742, 707 and 743!

Guest Chainsaw

I wonder if Qantas has plans to add other special planes as well. Such as an Electra, Viscount, Fokker Friendship.

And further down the track Wunala for the 400's maybe? VXB Nalanji for the 73's?

I think people are getting a bit carried away and need to take a deep breath. A few years ago the museum did not have any ex Qantas jet aircraft and soon it will have 2!

At this stage, EBU will be moth balled and stored in Hanger 4 at Avalon.

Personally, I don't think it will happen as Longreach already has a 747 minus and extended upper deck (EUD), apart for that the aircraft are virtually identical. The aircraft is not that old, only a little older than myself and could be used for spares for the active 747-300 fleet?

One thing is for sure, the paint work is magnificent.

TJT

Guest David747

Hi TJT.

Here are a few corrections re the Qantas 743s in terms of delivery dates.

EBT = 14 November 1984

EBX = 12 November 1986

EBY = 01 May 1987

So they were all delivered and first registered from the mid to late 80s. I personally would'nt be surprised if the remaining 5 QF 743s became freighters overseas. QF has looked after those planes so well for so long and it would be sad to see em get scrapped when at the same time they can continue to fly as freighters, same with the 744s when they are due for replacement. Interesting to see what the future holds. :D

David...

Thanks David. For some reason the Jetphotos.net census listed delivery as the date they were returned by JAL to Qantas after being leased in the early-mid 90's.

TJT

Would be good if it was EBT (City of Waga Waga) for me becuase i would be able to go to the Longreach museum to see it. However i think it is worth all the money getting the Aboriginal scheme 743 (sorry i dont know how to spell its name) restored and put into the Longreach museum.

• 2 months later...

Confirmation from a credible source within Qantas that EBU will most definitely never move from Avalon. Engine pylons have now been removed among other significant parts to keep the -300 fleet flying. It would cost more money than what its worth to get EBU to flying condition again.

TJT