Tell us about your first flight

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

Ok I'll go first.

It was 1991 when I was 18 and just after completing my HSC. Myself, sister and brother decided to do a road trip. One destinantion took us to coonabarabran where we decided to do a joyflight over the Warrumbungles in a 172 to see these rock formations and the national park from the air and view the Siding Springs Observatory. Loved every minute of it.

I’d been on previous flights but the memories are too hazy.

I was three. It was 1946.

The old man was doing the demonstration flight when TAA introduced the great big Skymaster (DC-4) to the public at Mascot.

My mother and I were the only passengers on that quick flight.

After take off when I’d finally gotten my hands off my ears … sacred of the loud noise, I became alarmed at the old man’s disregard for my safety during a turn and reckoned he’d scrape the wing tip on the ground.

My mother explained we were high up. I had no conception of our height above the ground at that age.

On shutting down the engines some men rolled out a red carpet to the steps that been pushed to the aircraft door.

The red carpet for ME was quite correct in my opinion.

We waited till the old man had finished in the cockpit.

I’d become riveted on the trim wheel….can’t remember anything else in the cockpit other than “me dad†in civies and that knurled wheel.

As we approached the back door to leave, the first visitors entered the aircraft. Some kid my age had the audacity to try and barge past me.

I put him in his place by ordering him off MY father’s plane in no uncertain terms.

One of the great disappointments in my life was to discover it wasn’t MY father’s plane at all and that other people could wander in willy-nilly.

Went home quite shitty about it.

Guest David747

Hello everyone.

My first ever flight was in November 1992 when I was 4 years old. I went for a 5 min joyride in a Sea World Helicopters Bell 206L Longranger. :D

David...

Guest rrudd

At age 11, sent to Tas for a holiday with the rellies.1951 First flight in a big wing thing...ANA DC4 from the all over grass field of Parafield to Essendon., thence DC3 across Bass Strait to Devenport.

First look out the window after take -off presented a visual perspective of the Adelaide hills that gave me a jolt... this is what I want to keep looking at, and flying aeroplanes is how you do it... apart from Google Earth these days.

Still looking... at the beauty of landscapes and the loveliness of clouds.

Sorry to have missed out on pushing 'big tin',doing global geography, but of course in 'littlies' you can get down low and fast/or slow and intimate with the environment. And oh what a beautiful place it is too.