Safari Ideas?

Guest b4igo

Hi,

I thought this might be a good place to canvas the forum readers and help me decide where to go. Let me explain - I am new to Australia and new to this forum. I have had a chance to see a little of the major cities but know there is far more out there to visit that would take years to appreciate properly.

However, I am putting together a plan to see the continent by way of a flying round trip of about 60hrs over 4-6 weeks, probably in a C172. I can read all the books and tourism websites I like but there is nothing quite like first hand experience and advice. So I would be most grateful if anybody wants to make a comment on must-see sights or just great places for flyers to pop into for lunch or overnight.

To give you a starting point, my trip would follow very broadly the following route, with a couple of ideas for me to see:

Melbourne - Adelaide (via Great Ocean Road + Grampians)

On towards Coober Pedy, then thought I might branch across to Birdsville to see Lake Eyre and the Simpson Desert and then back to Alice Springs.

A visit to Uluru of course, then continue north towards the Top End.

Probably as far as Darwin then across to see the Kimberly highlights, routing via Kununurra, Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing before stopping in Broome (catching the Bungle Bungle enroute).

Probably as far west as I would go on this trip due to time constraints but would venture down the coast as far as Barrow Island if people thought it was worth it.

Otherwise reverse direction and follow the coast north east to see Mitchell River Falls and Darwin if I missed it first time then see Kakadu and Arnhem Land.

Then keep going east towards Cairns maybe via Cape York if time allows.

Once on the east coast I plan to work south in lots of short hops to catch as many of the favourite places as practical. Ventures inland would be based on the sights I would like to see. Once at Sydney / Wollongong, I would be heading back to Melbourne via Canberra or if the spirit is still willing, follow the coast route back.

Phew...

Anyway, there must be plenty of people who have either done this before or those that want to do some or all of this route. What places did you think were worth the extra mile to see or gave great service and would definitely go back. Was there anywhere that you would avoid (not worth the effort or too difficult). I obviously plan to break this journey up into manageable chunks so an indication of good lunch stops or 1-2 day visits would be icing on the cake.

I also thought this might be a good topic for future reference for anyone planning a similar venture. It may also have been covered before so a pointer to a similar forum topic or external links would be just as useful.

Many thanks.

Sounds a great trip..says I drooling! Guess some things might depend on the time of year etc. but reckon all year round would be great to visit those places. Only thing I could recommend is stopping for a while in some of those places..you may have to hire a car in some..if doing the Great Ocean Road would be a shame if as well as seeing it by air (see great trip report Chris put in a few weeks ago when he did it in his ultralight)..that you might not get a chance to see it at ground level too..Aireys Inlet Lorne Apollo Bay Port Campbell..so much to see there too..if you hired a car or booked a tour for a day or two you might see some things from a different perspective..you would be lucky seeing it in the air too! Just my thoughts..sounds fantastic. Best wishes to you. Tim :D

How many travelling in the aircraft?

What accommodation do you expect to use.

When are you travelling (What season).

Water and fuel is your major concern - always and these things govern those two quantities.

Cape York is a long way and boring same country. Better to make Princess Charlott Bay the northen point on the East Coast.

I have done plenty of holidaying in Queensland and out to the centre in C172 s and a Piper Tripacer.

With just two of us camping VERY rough and light we were always scrounging for full fuel and a safe water quantity.