Mini Trip Report: Virgin Atlantic London-New York, Newark

To: Newark, NJ (EWR)

Flight: VS001

Date: Tues 23rd Dec 2008

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 G-VROC "Mustang Sally"

Departure time: 16:00 GMT

Arrival time: 19:15 EST

Distance: 3465 miles

I won't write a long report on our outbound sector as I didn't take many pictures (it was dark from the moment we boarded) and it was a pretty routine flight in any event.

For this trip I redeemed my Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles for two one-way award seats in Premium Economy from London-New York. I had more than enough miles to book both of us in Upper Class, Virgin Atlantic's business class, but for several reasons I decided not to. Firstly, the design of the Upper Class Suite makes it difficult for you to talk to your travelling companion, if you are travelling with one. Secondly, I don't need a flat bed on a daytime flight to the US. And thirdly, I would save 18,000 miles each to fly in Premium Economy instead of UC. Yes, I am very frugal when it comes to redeeming my hard-earned frequent flyer miles (except for First Class tickets on SIA).

So we arrived at LHR Zone A, checked in and obtained our boarding passes for VS001 just after 1pm before making our way to the Virgin Clubhouse lounge. The staff welcomed us inside - Premium Economy ticketholders are not entitled lounge access, however, my bmi british midland Gold card has reciprocal lounge access agreements with Virgin Atlantic only at LHR. I went to book two haircuts at the Bumble and Bumble hair salon but unfortunately there was only one slot available in the time we had until boarding so I let my friend have it as it was his first visit to the Clubhouse.

Boarding was delayed but eventually we managed to push back from the gate and taxied to the runway. VS001 finally took off from runway 27R at 16:55. The Captain promised to make up most of the delay enroute with an estimated shorter flight time of 7hrs and 20mins. Premium Economy is configured 2-4-2 behind UC on the main deck of the Boeing 747-400. We had the bulkhead seats on the right-hand side, 29K and H.

Drinks were served once we reached cruising altitude, followed by dinner. We both had the chicken with mustard and mashed potato. I thought the meal was really quite bland and boring. After dinner liqueurs were then served - Baileys for both of us. Hagen-Daz ice-cream was served mid-flight. An hour or two before arrival the second service commenced, which was tea or coffee with a chocolate brownie and biscuits. There is no second meal on these fairly short East Coast transatlantic flights.

My friend and I in our comfortable seats

Touchdown was on schedule and we landed into a snowy Newark Liberty international airport. The Captain came on to advise that the aircraft would be parked some distance away from the building terminal before the engines would be turned off and the aircraft towed to the gate. The crew was good, some very festive in their red Santa hats and reindeer antlers. I'd give them 7 out of 10 - they certainly worked hard during the flight as it was completely full in Economy - there was 16 cabin crew and 346 passengers on board.

We left the airport to make our way to the New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square. New York had just had its first winter snow storm over the weekend and we could still feel the remnants of it. Tomorrow promised to be much milder - but wetter.

Guest OzChris

Great Report - Those seats look awesome for economy!

I always feel hungry after your trip reports...and I have a craving for some Baileys now - LOL

Another great read StrawberyMuppet

Yes, the Premium Economy seats are very comfortable indeed and are just fine for the UK-East Coast USA flights. They are 21" wide so as good as business class.

I have been very ill since arriving home from New York on Saturday. I feel better now having been in bed for the last few days. I hope to post my return trip report soon.