Date: Friday 26th December 2008

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 9V-SPN

Departure time: 21:00 (GMT-5)

Arrival time: 10:50 (+1)

Distance: 3847 miles

Times Square

View from the Executive Lounge, New York Marriott Marquis

Brooklyn Bridge

After a wonderful (but chilly) 3 days of sightseeing, shopping and eating in New York it was time to fly back home. Via Frankfurt. Normally I tend to fly back to the UK on a direct flight from the US instead of going through a European hub but on this occasion we wanted to fly with SIA. In style.

We arrived at JFK Terminal 4 at quarter past six in the evening and made our way to Row 6 to check-in for Flight SQ25. I had already pre-assigned our seats, 2F (window) for my friend and 2D (solo, aisle) for myself, the nearest seat, adjacent to 2F. Our boarding passes for our connecting Lufthansa flight to LHR were also issued and the very nice check-in agent informed us that we would be using the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge - also reserved for First Class passengers flying with SIA. The JFK Clubhouse is much smaller than the LHR Clubhouse but service was great and I couldn't resist a bite to eat from the menu. I only had breakfast at the hotel in the morning and I missed lunch (in anticipation of being fed to my heart's content on the flight this evening) so I was really quite hungry by the time I looked at the menu. I should have resisted. How I managed to eat 5 courses onboard the plane I still don't know!

Shrimp Asian Salad

As the lounge is before security we had to head one level down and then join the queue for the TSA screening. I forgot I had a can of drink on me and it was quickly disposed of before I could enter the departures area. Then it was a short walk to Gate A6 where boarding was already in operation. As soon as the steward saw my red boarding pass I was greeted by name and directed to my seat in the nose of the 747. The delightful Leading Stewardess immediately offered assistance with our hand luggage but I declined as I am more than capable of lifting my case into the overhead compartment myself. My jacket was taken and stored, I was offered a refreshing hot towel and a pre-departure drink (along with humble apologies that limited alcoholic drinks could only be served due to customs regulations at JFK). I explained that I wasn't feeling too well - I had a cold and a sore throat - so I would be sticking to orange juice. Very kindly I was offered sore throat lozenges. SIA really do look after you when you are ill as previous experience has shown. I managed another orange juice whilst leather-bound menus, blankets, Givenchy pyjamas, Salvatore Ferragamo amenity washbags, eyeshades and sockettes were distributed. Newspapers and magazines were also offered. My friend, having never flown SIA First Class before, looked like an excited bunny as he munched away at his small bowl of nuts, hardly able to take in all the pampering lol! The load in the First Class cabin for this flight was only 4 in total, ourselves included, out of a total of 12.

We pushed back from the gate exactly on time at 9pm and the safety demonstration video was played as we taxied to the runway in preparation for take-off. A short while later I could see a British Airways 747-400 thunder down the runway as it took off for LHR. Then it was our turn. We sped down the runway in darkness and at 21:23 precisely we were airborne. Sitting in the nose of the jumbo you can hear the very loud noise of the wheels retracting beneath. The Captain informed us that the flight time would be exactly 7 hours to FRA. Soon the cabin lights came on and service commenced as we flew towards the Canadian border, heading in the direction of Newfoundland.

I decided to avoid alcohol for the duration of this flight. Not a big deal as I rarely drink when I fly, preferring water and juice over champagne. I began to feel ill in New York a few days prior. On Christmas Day I had a high temperature, and felt very sluggish. My cough worsened as our trip wore on and I had a very sore throat and headaches on and off by Friday. I was surprised I still had an appetite. Usually I would have only a glass of champagne or a Singapore Sling after take-off and then stick to water for the rest of the flight. This time I asked for a hot cup of Chinese jasmine tea. More hot towels were offered and dinner was served shortly afterwards.

Here's the menu:

Dinner from New York to Frankfurt

Appetisers

Chilled malossal caviar

With melba toast and condiments

Duo of dungeness crabmeat with celeriac tian and seared ahi tuna, blood orange glaced

Soups

Roasted butternut squash soup with creme fraiche and brown butter sage crouton

Oriental clear broth with mushrooms, tofu and carrot

Salad

Caesar salad

Romaine lettuce with bacon, Parmesan cheese, croutons and anchovy-garlic dressing

Main courses

Panroasted corn-fed chicken breast in morel sauce with wild mushroom ballotine and garden vegetables

Chinese style black cod in hot bean sauce served with stir fried vegetables and fried noodles

Gaeng Masaman Neua

Thai Malay style beef curry served with vegetable omelette and steamed rice

Pan fried venison in red wine with pear and cranberries sauerkraut with juniper berries, glazed carrots and buttered potatoes

Penne arrabiatta with sauteed vegetables and arrugula lettuce

Desserts

Warm pear tart served with vanilla ice cream

Cheeses

Assorted gourmet cheeses served with grapes, dried cranberry, walnut and biscuit

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

To begin my gastronomic feast I started with the caviar (as did my friend), served on elegant fine bone china designed by Givenchy with new stainless steel cutlery.

First Class luxury in 2F

The old blue and white tableware and glassware on my last flight in First Class earlier this year seems so outdated now. The caviar was excellent. I followed this with a delicious Oriental clear broth - two bowlfuls in fact.

Next came the Caesar salad and it was fresh, crunchy and full of flavour.

By this stage I was half full already and I could only just about finish the main course of Gaeng Masaman Neua (well, almost all of it).

I couldn't finish the pear tart but the vanilla ice cream was heavenly!

As for the cheese and fresh fruit, well, I simply didn't have any room left. All this was washed down with plenty of hot jasmine tea. First Class passengers also have the option of "Book the Cook" whereby they reserve a meal of their choice in advance from a specially selected First Class menu from certain stations. I couldn't be bothered, where's the excitement if you know what you're going to eat before you even step on the plane?

I decided to sleep as we cruised over the Atlantic. I converted my seat into a fully flat bed and our hard-working Leading Stewardess came to make it up, complete with plump mattress, fluffy duvet and silky pillows. Ahh, lovely.

Seat 2D

My friend was engrossed watching a movie and definitely did not want to sleep! I managed a few hours sleep before waking up over Belfast, Northern Ireland. The orange glow of sunrise was creeping in through my friend's opened windowshade. I went to the toilet to freshen up. Then more hot towels and a refreshing orange juice. As most of the cabin was still in darkness I lay back and watched Little Britain Down Under and declined the offer of breakfast until my friend woke up (he did eventually fall asleep!). We flew over Manchester, northern England, across the North Sea and then over Amsterdam before the Captain advised that we were beginning our descent some 250 miles from FRA. It was 09:40 am and breakfast in bed was served, just a plate of fresh fruit and rolls and croissants with preserves. I could only just about eat the fruit, I was still stuffed! Finally, after breakfast and one last round of hot towels, the crew began to tidy and prepare the cabin for landing. We landed at 10:25am after a flight time of 7 hours and 2 mins.

The flight was amazing. The crew really pampered us like royalty and it felt like the flight was over in no time at all. The crew even thanked us for being "nice" to them!

I bought a box of luxury chocolates in New York and my friend gave it to our wonderful Leading Stewardess at the end of the flight, to share with her crew, as a small gesture of appreciation for the wonderful service. To sum up, a fantastic First Class flight. I don't really need to say any more.

Parked up at FRA

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6449574

Can you see us waving lol?!