Travel Insurance which covers private flying

George B

Hi,

Going on a holiday to NZ and all travel insurance I have looked has amongst the exclusions a clause like this -

"A loss that arises from parachuting, sky diving, hang gliding, Paraponting or travel in an air supported device other than as a passenger in a licensed passenger aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This does not apply to hot air ballooning or parasailing."

Has anybody knowledge of a company offering travel insurance which does cover private flying?

Thanks in anticipation.

I am currently having a big fight with a travel insurer at the moment.088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif Got caught in Ayr on tuesday this week because of the floods in North QLD and the mongrels wont cover the cost of replacement airline tickets. Currently out of pocket around $800. 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Their policies are deceptive and aren't worth the paper they're printed on.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

If I name them the moderators will delete the post so I wont at this stage. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I am contactable by PM though....:devil:;)

My advise is READ THE VERY VERY FINE PRINT and then remember that they'll try and worm their way out of it....068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Regards

Phil

Thanks for the QBE suggestion, had a look & seems to cover partly.

You appear to be covered for personal injury and loss but not for liability to others

"We will not pay for a liability:

(d) arising out of your ownership, possession or use (including as

a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, or any aircraft

or watercraft;"

Guess this would also include a hire car.

It certainly would pay to check the car/boat/aircraft's insurance for liability.

Paragliding, parachuting & hot air ballooning are specifically mentioned as OK

Hanggliding is not mentioned butI assume OK as not excluded.

I assume these are also covered for third partly liability which is good.

Commiseration on the floods & your replacement airline ticket costs Phil.

George B

Good advice Peter.

The answer I got was -

Hang gliders are covered as not specifically excluded.

Person liability is covered as long as the vehicle is not mechanically powered be it hang glider or paraglider. On a bicycle you are covered for personal liability, on a motorbike you are not.

Regardless, even this is just the interpretation of whichever clerk took the phone call.

If I was planning a hang gliding holiday I think I would want the answer in writing.

Thanks

George B