My Move to New Zealand

Guest Darren Masters

Guest Darren Masters

All, as promised here is the trip report (a very basic one) about my move to Auckland NZ from Sydney on the 1st April 2009.

Wednesday 1st April 2009 Air New Zealand Flight NZ 102.

Got to the airport nice and early at around 0700 for an 0930 departure out of Sydney. Check-in counters were all open at this stage and checking in was rapid. Had an issue with my baggage been 10kg over the allowed 20kg and after a lengthly conversation with the supervisor this was sorted. I was allocated my pre-requested seat of 30K (window) up the back of the 767 on the right-hand side. Talked with family and then the hard task of saying goodbye. Proceeded through customs and I must admit it was strange to fill out the card 'Australian Resident Departing Permanently'. Was asked a few questions then proceeded over to the security screening. Got the works this time with pat down and explosives trace test. Made my way over to Gate 61 and found out that the aircraft was 30mins late due to a late departure out of Auckland and weather on its arrival into Sydney. It was quite a miserable/rainy morning. Aircraft finally arrived Boeing 767-319ER Rego ZK-NCG. My row was one of the first to be called for boarding so I was happy with that. Boarded without a drama. First impressions when boarding was that the cabin crew were very friendly and they were happy to be there. They kindly took my suits from me and placed them in the locker. Made my way down to the rear of the aircraft and snapped a few pics.

Below: View from seat 30K ZK-NCG-A nice clean aircraft.

I was very impressed with this aircraft. For economy the seats were very comfortable, IFE infront on every seat and the plane was immaculate inside the cabin.

Below: Rainy Sydney out of the window from 30K.

We pushed-back at around 1000 (30 min later than scheduled). Captain was David Moss with first officer Grahame Frew. Our cruising altitude would be FL370. Made the long taxii over to Runway 16 Left. Lined-up virtually straight away and power came on also straight away. A little bit of a run this morning as we had quite a load of pax. Took off over the shipping terminal and then a slight left-hand turn to begin crossing the Tasman. Watched Sydney dissapear behind us through the cloud.

Below: On climb out of Sydney through cloud.

About 30min after take-off the inflight service began. We had a choice of smoked salmon pesto pasta or a ham and cheese croissant. I went for the smoked salmon pasta. Served with this was water and a delicious honeycomb/vanilla icecream. The pasta was also quite nice. Also had a Steinlager (naturally).

Below: Lunch service.

I was quite impressed with the quality of the food on Air New Zealand for economy class. The crew were also very willing to help you out with any requests you had for food/drinks.

Time went by quite quickly. Listened to some music on the IFE (Brittney's new album)-LOL now people will talk and talked to the passenger beside me. Before I knew it were were on descent into AKL. The whole flight was very smooth with minimal bumps. Descending through the cloud prior to reaching the West Coast from AKL was also very smooth.

Below: Descending over the West Coast of NZ.

Made the straight-in approach to the NE runway of AKL (05R). We were on time at 1430 as we picked up some strong tail winds enroute.Nice smooth landing and short taxii to the bay. Exited the aircraft and made my way over to immigration. Process did not take too long at all. Got asked a few questions from the girl at the counter and she gave me a nice 'welcome to New Zealand' which I thought was quite nice. Another flight attendant that I will be working with was waiting for me landside and we made a quick exit out of the airport.

In summary I cannot fault Air New Zealand in any way over this flight. Was the first time I have ever flown with them and was truly a memorable experience. Crews like this are what make your flight enjoyable. Hope you enjoyed reading this trip report.

Guest David C

All the best Darren... I know you will succeed and have a happy time over there ... Till we see you again mate ...

Dave C

Guest Darren Masters
Derrin,Hiv yew hed eny lingwidge training prior to your move to new Zuland? :-)

Good luck in Kiwi-land,

Coop

No bit I am gitting there slowly

Thanks

Guest Darren Masters

Ha ha ha Chainy :biggrin: That is gold!!!! :biggrin: NZOM says only some sound like they pronounce them? I think they all sound like they pronounce them. I'll study that one and become a pro at speaking Newzealandish!!!!

Guest Darren Masters
Its Zuild mate, you learn that and i'll learn Strine, and we both might cope

LOL let's give it a go

Guest Darren Masters
Daz, have you worked out what a chully bun is yet?

Oh Kaye, c'mon I worked out what an iiiiisky was on day 1! :biggrin: